Subject: bug#53783: closed (Re: bug#53783: 29.0.50; eshell/sudo and eshell/su always use localhost as host)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Sun, 06 Feb 2022 08:48:01 +0000

Your bug report

#53783: 29.0.50; eshell/sudo and eshell/su always use localhost as host

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
53783: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=53783
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#53783: 29.0.50; eshell/sudo and eshell/su always use localhost as host
From: Michael Albinus <[email-masked]>
To: Russell Sim <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 06 Feb 2022 09:47:01 +0100
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Version: 29.1

Russell Sim <[email-masked]> writes:

> Hey,

Hi Russell,

> When using eshell if I call `sudo pwd` it will open a different host to if i
> call `cd /sudo::/ && pwd` in the first case it will visit "/sudo:root@localhost:" and in the
> other case it will visit my system "/sudo:root@mowgli:"
>
> I would like to have them both visit the host's actual name "mowgli" so
> that i can reduce the number of open sessions and also take advantage of
> being able to store sudo passwords.
>
> Would it be reasonable for eshell/sudo and eshell/su to instead either
> use tramp-default-host or tramp-system-name which ever is more
> appropriate?

I've fixed it this way, using tramp-default-host. Pushed to master.

> Many thanks,
> Russell

Best regards, Michael.

Subject: 29.0.50; eshell/sudo and eshell/su always use localhost as host
From: Russell Sim <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 04 Feb 2022 20:34:04 +0100
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hey,

When using eshell if I call `sudo pwd` it will open a different host to if i
call `cd /sudo::/ && pwd` in the first case it will visit "/sudo:root@localhost:" and in the
other case it will visit my system "/sudo:root@mowgli:"

I would like to have them both visit the host's actual name "mowgli" so
that i can reduce the number of open sessions and also take advantage of
being able to store sudo passwords.

Would it be reasonable for eshell/sudo and eshell/su to instead either
use tramp-default-host or tramp-system-name which ever is more
appropriate?

Many thanks,
Russell

In GNU Emacs 29.0.50 (build 2, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.24.31, cairo version 1.16.0)
 of 2022-01-22 built on mowgli
Repository revision: 246557f33e13a437d3582445f914a7170ee11027
Repository branch: master
System Description: Debian GNU/Linux bookworm/sid

Configured using:
 'configure --with-modules --with-native-compilation --with-mailutils
 --with-toolkit-scroll-bars --with-sound=alsa --with-pop=yes
 --without-xwidgets --prefix /home/russell/.local/stow/emacs --with-pgtk
 CC=gcc'

Configured features:
ACL CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS GPM GSETTINGS HARFBUZZ JPEG
JSON LCMS2 LIBOTF LIBSELINUX LIBSYSTEMD LIBXML2 MODULES NATIVE_COMP
NOTIFY INOTIFY PDUMPER PGTK PNG RSVG SECCOMP SOUND SQLITE3 THREADS TIFF
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS XIM GTK3 ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_AU.UTF-8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=ibus
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: IELM

Minor modes in effect:
  rainbow-delimiters-mode: t
  elisp-slime-nav-mode: t
  org-roam-db-autosync-mode: t
  global-hl-todo-mode: t
  which-function-mode: t
  global-flycheck-mode: t
  marginalia-mode: t
  vertico-mode: t
  global-fish-completion-mode: t
  fish-completion-mode: t
  global-project-shells-mode: t
  project-shells-mode: t
  async-bytecomp-package-mode: t
  recursion-indicator-mode: t
  global-rs-edit-mode: t
  rs-edit-mode: t
  global-rs-global-mode: t
  rs-global-mode: t
  popper-mode: t
  gcmh-mode: t
  winum-mode: t
  override-global-mode: t
  envrc-global-mode: t
  envrc-mode: t
  minions-mode: t
  editorconfig-mode: t
  global-diff-hl-mode: t
  winner-mode: t
  global-undo-tree-mode: t
  undo-tree-mode: t
  global-anzu-mode: t
  anzu-mode: t
  projectile-mode: t
  volatile-highlights-mode: t
  global-hl-line-mode: t
  super-save-mode: t
  windmove-mode: t
  recentf-mode: t
  savehist-mode: t
  save-place-mode: t
  show-smartparens-global-mode: t
  show-smartparens-mode: t
  smartparens-strict-mode: t
  smartparens-mode: t
  global-auto-revert-mode: t
  delete-selection-mode: t
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  which-key-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  eldoc-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  window-divider-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  size-indication-mode: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
/home/russell/.emacs-prelude.d/elpa/transient-20211208.1819/transient hides /home/russell/.local/stow/emacs/share/emacs/29.0.50/lisp/transient

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr pulse emacsbug sendmail ielm misearch
multi-isearch cl-print tramp-cmds wgrep find-dired easy-kill dired-aux
diff-hl-dired tide tide-lv reveal rfc2104 epa-file tramp-cache em-xtra
em-unix em-tramp em-smart em-script em-prompt em-ls em-glob em-basic
em-alias add-log writegood-mode org-tempo tempo org-crypt ol-w3m ol-mhe
ol-info ol-gnus nnselect gnus-search eieio-opt speedbar ezimage dframe
gnus-art mm-uu mml2015 mm-view mml-smime smime dig gnus-sum gnus-group
gnus-undo gnus-start gnus-dbus gnus-spec gnus-win ol-eww eww xdg
url-queue mm-url ol-eshell ol-docview doc-view image-mode exif ol-bibtex
ol-bbdb mule-util cursor-sensor flycheck-rust rainbow-mode
rainbow-delimiters elisp-slime-nav display-line-numbers guru-mode vc-mtn
vc-hg vc-bzr vc-src vc-sccs vc-svn vc-cvs vc-rcs editorconfig-core
editorconfig-core-handle editorconfig-fnmatch org-roam-protocol
org-protocol org-roam-migrate org-roam-mode org-roam-capture
org-roam-node org-roam-db org-roam-utils org-roam-compat org-roam
org-capture emacsql-sqlite url-http url-auth url-gw emacsql
emacsql-compiler magit-section rs-light-theme persist org-id
org-generic-id org-archive request-deferred deferred request alert log4e
notifications dbus gntp use-package use-package-delight
use-package-diminish prelude-yaml prelude-xml nxml-mode-expansions
rng-nxml rng-valid rng-loc rng-uri rng-parse nxml-parse rng-match rng-dt
rng-util rng-pttrn nxml-ns nxml-mode nxml-outln nxml-rap
html-mode-expansions sgml-mode nxml-util nxml-enc xmltok prelude-web
web-mode-expansions smartparens-html web-mode prelude-ts typescript-mode
prelude-shell sh-script executable prelude-scheme geiser
smartparens-rust rust-utils rust-mode rust-rustfmt rust-playpen
rust-compile rust-cargo prelude-rust prelude-ruby prelude-python
prelude-perl prelude-org prelude-lsp lsp-ui lsp-ui-flycheck lsp-ui-doc
goto-addr lsp-ui-imenu lsp-ui-peek lsp-ui-sideline lsp-mode
network-stream nsm lv inline lsp-ui-util lsp-protocol prelude-js
js2-mode-expansions js2-mode js-mode-expansions smartparens-javascript
js cc-mode-expansions smartparens-c cc-mode cc-fonts cc-guess cc-menus
cc-cmds cc-styles cc-align cc-engine cc-vars cc-defs prelude-haskell
prelude-go go-projectile vc-git go-rename go-guru go-eldoc go-mode
find-file prelude-emacs-lisp prelude-common-lisp prelude-lisp prelude-c
prelude-programming hl-todo which-func rs-kubernetes consult-vertico
consult rs-www shr pixel-fill kinsoku svg dom rs-exwm exwm-systemtray
xcb-systemtray xcb-xembed exwm exwm-input xcb-keysyms xcb-xkb
exwm-manage exwm-floating xcb-cursor xcb-render exwm-layout
exwm-workspace exwm-core xcb-ewmh xcb-icccm xcb xcb-xproto xcb-types
xcb-debug rs-ruby rspec-mode rubocop ruby-mode-expansions
smartparens-ruby ruby-mode rs-rust rs-writing smartparens-markdown
markdown-mode flycheck google-translate google-translate-default-ui
google-translate-core-ui facemenu popup ido google-translate-core
google-translate-tk google-translate-backend rs-git rs-tramp rs-rest
restclient rs-typescript rs-programming rs-completion marginalia
orderless vertico rs-lsp eglot array jsonrpc ert debug rs-cue rs-bazel
bazel-mode bazel-util flymake-proc flymake ffap rs-jsonnet jsonnet-mode
smie rs-shell em-banner em-hist em-pred em-term with-editor vterm
face-remap color vterm-module term/xterm xterm server fish-completion
em-cmpl bash-completion eshell-z em-dirs esh-var jka-compr esh-mode
project-shells term disp-table ehelp rs-org org-tree-slide org-timer
org-clock plantuml-mode xml helm-org-ql org-ql-search org-ql-view
transient ov crm org-super-agenda ht helm-org org-ql pcase peg ts
org-habit org-agenda org-refile ob-shell ob-eshell ob-ruby ob-python
python-el-fgallina-expansions smartparens-python python tramp-sh ob-awk
helm-org-rifle the-org-mode-expansions org-element avl-tree
smartparens-org org ob ob-tangle ob-ref ob-lob ob-table ob-exp org-macro
org-footnote org-src ob-comint org-pcomplete org-list org-faces
org-entities noutline outline org-version ob-emacs-lisp ob-core ob-eval
org-table oc-basic bibtex ol org-keys oc org-compat org-macs
org-loaddefs helm-imenu helm-utils helm-help helm async-bytecomp
helm-global-bindings helm-source helm-multi-match helm-lib async
rs-notmuch all-the-icons all-the-icons-faces data-material
data-weathericons data-octicons data-fileicons data-faicons
data-alltheicons rs-gnus gnus-cloud nnimap nnmail gnus-int mail-source
gnus-range message yank-media rmc puny rfc822 mml mml-sec epa derived
mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader utf7 netrc nnoo gnus nnheader gnus-util
mail-utils range epg rfc6068 epg-config rs-personal time rs-appearance
rs-dark-theme modus-vivendi-theme cal-julian circadian solar cal-dst
cal-menu calendar cal-loaddefs modus-themes recursion-indicator rs-osx
rs-edit-mode rs-global-mode rs-core popper use-package-ensure deadgrep
spinner helpful trace edebug backtrace info-look find-func f elisp-refs
s gcmh winum use-package-bind-key bind-key envrc inheritenv
rs-keybindings rs-packages quelpa mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode help-fns
radix-tree no-littering use-package-core minions cus-load prelude-linux
exec-path-from-shell prelude-global-keybindings prelude-editor
editorconfig operate-on-number calc-bin calc-ext calc calc-loaddefs
calc-macs diff-hl smartrep log-view pcvs-util vc-dir ewoc vc
vc-dispatcher diff-mode easy-mmode winner undo-tree diff eshell esh-cmd
esh-ext esh-opt esh-proc esh-io esh-arg esh-module esh-groups esh-util
re-builder whitespace tabify browse-kill-ring midnight ediff ediff-merg
ediff-mult ediff-wind ediff-diff ediff-help ediff-init ediff-util
dired-x dired dired-loaddefs anzu avy projectile lisp-mnt mail-parse
rfc2231 rfc2047 rfc2045 mm-util ietf-drums mail-prsvr grep compile
ibuf-ext ibuffer ibuffer-loaddefs bookmark text-property-search pp
expand-region text-mode-expansions er-basic-expansions
expand-region-core expand-region-custom flyspell ispell rect etags
fileloop generator xref project volatile-highlights hl-line super-save
windmove recentf tree-widget wid-edit savehist saveplace diminish
edmacro kmacro smartparens-config smartparens-text smartparens advice
dash autorevert filenotify delsel prelude-mode crux tramp tramp-loaddefs
trampver tramp-integration files-x tramp-compat shell pcomplete comint
ansi-color ring parse-time iso8601 time-date ls-lisp format-spec
thingatpt imenu-anywhere imenu prelude-core epl prelude-ui which-key
comp comp-cstr warnings prelude-custom prelude-packages cl-extra
help-mode finder-inf cue-mode-autoloads debian-el helm-easymenu rx
slime-autoloads w3m-load info package browse-url url url-proxy
url-privacy url-expand url-methods url-history url-cookie url-domsuf
url-util mailcap url-handlers url-parse auth-source cl-seq eieio
eieio-core cl-macs eieio-loaddefs password-cache json map url-vars seq
gv subr-x byte-opt bytecomp byte-compile cconv cl-loaddefs cl-lib
iso-transl tooltip eldoc paren electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks
lisp-float-type elisp-mode mwheel term/pgtk-win pgtk-win term/common-win
tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace
newcomment text-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar
rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock
font-lock syntax font-core term/tty-colors frame minibuffer cl-generic
cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao
korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech
european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese composite emoji-zwj charscript
charprop case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev obarray
cl-preloaded nadvice button loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp files
window text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages
mule custom widget keymap hashtable-print-readable backquote threads
dbusbind inotify dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting
cairo move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit pgtk lcms2 multi-tty
make-network-process native-compile emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 1219761 150483)
 (symbols 48 84150 2)
 (strings 32 321554 39875)
 (string-bytes 1 11116171)
 (vectors 16 148837)
 (vector-slots 8 3257191 347128)
 (floats 8 1542 522)
 (intervals 56 10212 692)
 (buffers 992 33))