Subject: arbitrary user parameters in default-frame-alist not set in subsequent frames

From: Juanma Barranquero <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Jan 2010 15:43:35 +0100

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Juanma Barranquero <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, Jan 3, 2010 at 00:35
Subject: Is this a bug? (arbitrary user parameters in
default-frame-alist not set in subsequent frames)
To: Emacs developers <[email-masked]>

I'll file a bug report, assuming it is unexpected.

 emacs -Q --eval "(add-to-list 'default-frame-alist '(my-parameter . t))"
 M-: (frame-parameter nil 'my-parameter)   =>   t
 C-x 5 2
 M-: (frame-parameter nil 'my-parameter)   =>   nil

This happens for user-defined frame parameters; for example, if you
set `background-color' it is correctly passed.

Are initial-frame-alist and default-frame-alist intended for
"meaningful" stuff (X resources and other things that can affect frame
creation) only, or should user values be honored too?

   Juanma