Subject: bug#53779: closed (Re: bug#53779: [PATCH 0/5] gnu: iwd: Build from Git; update to 1.23.)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Tue, 08 Feb 2022 12:37:02 +0000

Your bug report

#53779: [PATCH 0/5] gnu: iwd: Build from Git; update to 1.23.

which was filed against the guix-patches package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
53779: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=53779
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#53779: [PATCH 0/5] gnu: iwd: Build from Git; update to 1.23.
From: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
To: Simon South <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 08 Feb 2022 13:35:58 +0100
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hi,

Simon South <[email-masked]> skribis:

> Note there is an unavoidable dependency issue here: iwd 1.20 doesn't build
> with ell 0.48, so a future time-traveller that arrives between the last two
> commits will find the repository partially broken.  Unfortunately expanding
> this into a longer series of commits doesn't help, as iwd 1.21 also doesn't
> build with ell 0.48 while iwd 1.22 doesn't build with ell 0.47.  I don't see a
> way around this that doesn't involve merging these two commits into one.

Merging into one is the right thing in this case, IMO.  I did that on
your behalf.

> On x86-64, with these patches applied I've been able to build both packages
> and all of their 40-odd dependents, and everything appears to be fine.
>
> On AArch64, both packages and their one immediate dependent, network-manager,
> build fine, as do the sub-dependent packages I can identify that don't rely on
> Rust (currently unavailable on AArch64).
>
> [0] As explained in passing at
>     https://lists.01.org/hyperkitty/list/[email-masked]/thread/2YCWIA63EFCKQ7AYRSGIDMUO7GEMC4CW/
> [1] https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/libs/ell/ell.git/commit/?id=49bb10f7b5e4b97d74210cb72cc47a337ae64cad

OK.

>   gnu: iwd: Remove input labels.
>   gnu: iwd: Remove reference to %outputs.
>   gnu: iwd: Build from Git sources.
>   gnu: ell: Remove input labels.
>   gnu: ell: Update to 0.48.
>   gnu: iwd: Update to 1.24.

Applied.  Thanks for the code and for the explanations!

Ludo’.

Subject: [PATCH 0/5] gnu: iwd: Build from Git; update to 1.23.
From: Simon South <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 4 Feb 2022 10:41:31 -0500
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Here's a patch series that aims to improve the iwd package by

- Migrating its "native-inputs" field to the new, label-less style;

- Building the package from revision control rather than a bootstrapped
  tarball, which involves copying into the source tree two private header
  files it shares with ell;[0]

- Updating ell itself to version 0.48, removing from its package definition
  its own input labels as well as the "fix-dbus-tests" phase that was
  obsoleted with upstream commit 49bb10f7b5;[1] and

- Updating iwd to 1.23.

Note there is an unavoidable dependency issue here: iwd 1.20 doesn't build
with ell 0.48, so a future time-traveller that arrives between the last two
commits will find the repository partially broken.  Unfortunately expanding
this into a longer series of commits doesn't help, as iwd 1.21 also doesn't
build with ell 0.48 while iwd 1.22 doesn't build with ell 0.47.  I don't see a
way around this that doesn't involve merging these two commits into one.

On x86-64, with these patches applied I've been able to build both packages
and all of their 40-odd dependents, and everything appears to be fine.

On AArch64, both packages and their one immediate dependent, network-manager,
build fine, as do the sub-dependent packages I can identify that don't rely on
Rust (currently unavailable on AArch64).

[0] As explained in passing at
    https://lists.01.org/hyperkitty/list/[email-masked]/thread/2YCWIA63EFCKQ7AYRSGIDMUO7GEMC4CW/
[1] https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/libs/ell/ell.git/commit/?id=49bb10f7b5e4b97d74210cb72cc47a337ae64cad

--
Simon South
[email-masked]

Simon South (5):
  gnu: iwd: Remove input labels.
  gnu: iwd: Build from Git sources.
  gnu: ell: Remove input labels.
  gnu: ell: Update to 0.48.
  gnu: iwd: Update to 1.23.

 gnu/packages/linux.scm      | 19 +++-------------
 gnu/packages/networking.scm | 43 ++++++++++++++++++++++++++-----------
 2 files changed, 33 insertions(+), 29 deletions(-)

base-commit: 8f585083277e64ea1e9a0848ef3c49f12327618c
-- 
2.34.0