Subject: [bug#53779] [PATCH v2 0/6] gnu: iwd: Build from Git; update to 1.24.

From: Simon South <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 7 Feb 2022 09:26:25 -0500

Here's an updated patch series that additionally

- Removes a reference to "%outputs" in the iwd package using a gexp, following
  Maxime's request; and

- Updates iwd to version 1.24, which was released in the last few days, rather
  than 1.23.

Everything else is unchanged from the original.

On x86-64, all of iwd's dependents reported by "guix refresh" build fine for
me with the updated patchset applied.

On AArch64, ell, iwd and their one immediate dependency, network-manager, all
build fine as well.

The cover letter from the original patch series follows.

Here's a patch series that aims to improve the iwd package by

- Migrating its "native-inputs" field to the new, label-less style;

- Building the package from revision control rather than a bootstrapped
  tarball, which involves copying into the source tree two private header
  files it shares with ell;[0]

- Updating ell itself to version 0.48, removing from its package definition
  its own input labels as well as the "fix-dbus-tests" phase that was
  obsoleted with upstream commit 49bb10f7b5;[1] and

- Updating iwd to 1.23.

Note there is an unavoidable dependency issue here: iwd 1.20 doesn't build
with ell 0.48, so a future time-traveller that arrives between the last two
commits will find the repository partially broken.  Unfortunately expanding
this into a longer series of commits doesn't help, as iwd 1.21 also doesn't
build with ell 0.48 while iwd 1.22 doesn't build with ell 0.47.  I don't see a
way around this that doesn't involve merging these two commits into one.

On x86-64, with these patches applied I've been able to build both packages
and all of their 40-odd dependents, and everything appears to be fine.

On AArch64, both packages and their one immediate dependent, network-manager,
build fine, as do the sub-dependent packages I can identify that don't rely on
Rust (currently unavailable on AArch64).

[0] As explained in passing at
    https://lists.01.org/hyperkitty/list/[email-masked]/thread/2YCWIA63EFCKQ7AYRSGIDMUO7GEMC4CW/
[1] https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/libs/ell/ell.git/commit/?id=49bb10f7b5e4b97d74210cb72cc47a337ae64cad

--
Simon South
[email-masked]

Simon South (6):
  gnu: iwd: Remove input labels.
  gnu: iwd: Remove reference to %outputs.
  gnu: iwd: Build from Git sources.
  gnu: ell: Remove input labels.
  gnu: ell: Update to 0.48.
  gnu: iwd: Update to 1.24.

 gnu/packages/linux.scm      | 19 ++----------
 gnu/packages/networking.scm | 62 +++++++++++++++++++++++--------------
 2 files changed, 42 insertions(+), 39 deletions(-)

base-commit: 67817299808a03e2750cfb630dc09fe8eb99c468
-- 
2.34.0