Subject: bug#53776: Modeline indicator when using define-minor-mode

From: Michael Heerdegen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 06 Feb 2022 22:52:13 +0100

Stephen Berman <[email-masked]> writes:

> Nevertheless, I would be interested in trying it and seeing the code.
> Can you post it?

I don't have it any more.  The basic idea was like

#+begin_src emacs-lisp
(defvar ml-scroll-amnt 0)

(setq-default
 mode-line-format
 `(:eval (substring (format-mode-line ',mode-line-format)
                    ml-scroll-amnt)))
#+end_src

and let mouse-4 and mouse-5 over the mode-line de- and increase
`ml-scroll-amnt'.  That's all.

Be careful when the variable binding of `mode-line-format' changes - the
above hack won't survive that, so when a certain mode redefines
`mode-line-format' (with other words: doesn't use the default value,
like Gnus), you need to do the above after the variable has been set.

Michael.