Subject: bug#53771: 29.0.50; highlight-regexp not working after tabulated-list-col-sort

From: Jean Louis <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 5 Feb 2022 10:13:59 +0300

* Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]> [2022-02-05 09:49]:
> As the doc string says:
> 
> ---
> Use Font lock mode, if enabled, to highlight REGEXP.  Otherwise,
> use overlays for highlighting.  If overlays are used, the
> highlighting will not update as you type.  The Font Lock mode
> is considered "enabled" in a buffer if its ‘major-mode’
> causes ‘font-lock-specified-p’ to return non-nil, which means
> the major mode specifies support for Font Lock.

I  wish   to  use  the   function  highlight-regexp  for   reasons  of
simplicity. The  above description does  not tell  me HOW to  use font
lock mode to highlight regexp.

I  can see  that font-lock-mode  is T  inthe buffer  before and  after
sorting.   My    understanding   is   that   I    am   already   using
font-lock-mode. It is enabled, and I cannot get highlighting. 

Description  such as  "Use Font  lock mode,  if enabled,  to highlight
REGEXP."  with its  "REGEXP" relates  to  the argument  REGEXP. It  is
related to the function. It tells little how is that supposed to work.

I have  followed the above  instructions by my  (mis)understanding and
have  specified `font-lock-specified-p'  below,  and  after sorting  I
still  cannot  invoke highlight-regexp  neither  with  M-x neither  by
evaluation.

Please, help me resolve this.

(define-derived-mode hyperscope-list-mode tabulated-list-mode "Hyperscope" "Hyperscope mode"
  (hyperscope-text-scale-adjust 'hyperscope-list-mode)
  (let ((id-length (length (number-to-string (rcd-sql-first "SELECT hyobjects_id FROM hyobjects ORDER BY hyobjects_id DESC LIMIT 1" hs-db)))))
    (setq tabulated-list-format (vconcat (list (list "ID" id-length t :right-align t))
					 (list (list "Hyperdocument" 70 t))
					 (list (list "Type" 12 t))
					 (list (list "Action" 9 t))))
    (setq font-lock-specified-p t)
    (setq tabulated-list-padding 1)
    ;; (setq tabulated-list-sort-key (cons "ID" nil))
    (tabulated-list-init-header)))

-- 
Jean

Take action in Free Software Foundation campaigns:
https://www.fsf.org/campaigns

In support of Richard M. Stallman
https://stallmansupport.org/