Subject: [bug#53765] V3 Patches

From: Maxime Devos <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 16 Apr 2022 21:45:20 +0200

Reily Siegel schreef op za 16-04-2022 om 21:35 [+0200]:
> Maxime Devos <[email-masked]> writes:
> 
> > Theoretically, the freedoms seem to be preserved here.  However, at
> > least currently, Cognitect is making exercising some of these freedoms
> > pointlessly difficult.
> > 
> > TBC, I'm not saying that Cognitect must make things easy, rather the
> > making things hard (by keeping the compiler, or translator, secret) is
> > what I consider the problem here.
> 
> Per this issue [1] on the aws-api GitHub, Cognitect has stated that the
> translation code (they call it a generator) is not open source when
> asked by a community member to view the source. As for why this is, I
> couldn't guess, it seems to be a relatively trivial piece of code.

If it's a trivial piece of code, it would be trivial for Cognitect to
make it free software without any business loss or something.

> Is this issue blocking for the inclusion of the package?
> 
> [1]: https://github.com/cognitect-labs/aws-api/issues/116

From my POV, yes.  Also see the new mail about another license issue (a
missing NOTICE.txt).

Greetings,
Maxime.