Subject: [bug#53765] V3 Patches

From: Maxime Devos <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2022 20:47:21 +0200

Reily Siegel schreef op vr 15-04-2022 om 15:55 [+0200]:
> Hello,
> 
> I just wanted to check in and make sure you saw the version 3 patches I
> sent in, having resolved the licensing issue.

I've received them but I didn't have much time.  I haven't looked a the
new patches but it seems that the only potential issue remaining is ...

> It looks like these files are generated from JSON definitions files
> released as part of the official AWS javascript sdk, which are
> available here [1] under the ASL2.0.
>
> However, it looks like based on this issue on the aws-api github [2],
> the code that generates the EDN files from the JSON definitions is
> not open source, only the resulting output EDN files. 

... do these EDN output files count as source?  They are licensed as
ASL2.0, which is an open source license, but that does not necessarily
make it free software, as they could perhaps be considered binaries
instead of source.

Well, the (original?) source (the JSON files) seems to be free
software, but if there is no free compiler for the source (and worse,
there is only a single compiler and it can only be used by a single
entity (cognitect)), wouldn't that make the software, from a practical
perspective, non-free?

gnu.org words this in more detail at
<https://www.gnu.org/philosophy/when-free-depends-on-nonfree.html>.
FWIW, this seems a similar situation as Debian's ‘contrib’ archive.

Greetings,
Maxime.