Subject: [bug#53765] [PATCH v2 05/18] gnu: Add clojure-core-memoize.

From: Reily Siegel <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 19 Mar 2022 20:07:27 +0100

Maxime Devos <[email-masked]> writes:

> Also, if a Clojure library misbehaves when being AOT-compiled, without
> additional context, that seems like a bug in the Clojure library to me
> (or the AOT-compilation code).

When I first started running into these issues, I reached out to Clojure
maintainers on the Clojurians Slack, and the response was that AOT
compilation is only meant for complete applications to reduce startup
latency, not individual libraries. Here are some of the specific
responses I got.

Alex Miller:

> Well, guix’s system is wrong to [AOT library code]. Lots of Clojure
> libs have clj files that are not part of the lib.

Sean Corfield:

> Packaging a library as AOT'd code is likely to cause horrible problems
> for consumers of that library. You're aware that lots of Clojure
> libraries are packaged as JAR files with no compilation of source
> code? "Packaging" Clojure libraries seems kinda wrong on several
> levels. The normal way to get Clojure libraries is as dependencies in
> a project -- fetched by the Clojure tooling itself, when it is run.

-- 
Reily Siegel