Subject: bug#53764: 27.1; shouldn't ~/diary be in diary-mode?

From: Michael Heerdegen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 07 Feb 2022 05:17:21 +0100

Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]> writes:

> Perhaps we should just do nothing

Yes, perhaps.

> -- people normally access the diary file via Calendar, which does
> everything it's supposed to.  Loading the diary file with `C-x C-f' is
> probably something most people don't do.

But I would not assume that.  People living "everything is a file" do
it.  I didn't know about the mode until I participated in this
discussion, I thought the highlighting would be some magic the diary
does when diary entries are displayed from the calendar, I didn't know
it's just a simple major mode.

And it's not necessary to use the calendar key interface to use the
diary, e.g. for calendar highlighting stuff or annotations.  It isn't
convenient to add complicated diary expressions or #includes to the
diary file from the calendar.  It's legitimate to edit the file the
normal way.

Maybe we can leave a short remark about the existence of the mode in the
manual?

Michael.