Subject: bug#53764: 27.1; shouldn't ~/diary be in diary-mode?

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 07 Feb 2022 04:45:41 +0100

Michael Heerdegen <[email-masked]> writes:

> I'm not sure anymore if this is a good idea anyway, because (doc of
> `diary-file'): "Diary files can contain directives to include the
> contents of other files; for details, see the documentation for the
> variable `diary-list-entries-hook'".
>
> No magic is able to ensure that all of these files are always opened
> with the right mode.

Hm, right.

> Dunno.  When the diary-file is opened with `diary-show-all-entries', the
> mode is already changed to diary-mode.  We could automatically add a
> file local variable when Emacs creates the (main) diary file for the
> user.
>
> An alternative approach: we change the name of the diary-file to .diary
> and associate the suffix ".diary" with diary-mode.  When the user then
> names his/her included diary files like "holidays.diary" and
> "work.diary", the mode would be enabled for these files, too.

Hm...  is that worth it?  People are bound to end up with both a
~/.emacs.d/diary and ~/.emacs.d/diary.diary file when they switch
between newer and older Emacs versions.  Renaming files like this is
always painful.

Perhaps we should just do nothing -- people normally access the diary
file via Calendar, which does everything it's supposed to.  Loading the
diary file with `C-x C-f' is probably something most people don't do.

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no