Subject: bug#53764: 27.1; shouldn't ~/diary be in diary-mode?

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 07 Feb 2022 00:07:42 +0100

Francesco Potortì <[email-masked]> writes:

> If diary-file is already in the auto-mode-alist, we do nothing.  No override.

Do we have a convenience function that says whether we have a match in
auto-mode-alist?  `set-auto-mode--apply-alist' seems to be the closest I
can find, and...  it's not that close.  :-/  But I guess it could be
refactored out of there.

Michael Heerdegen <[email-masked]> writes:

>> But I guess it's pretty unlikely.  Does anybody have an opinion?
>
> I vote "do it".  People will rather change `diary-mode' than writing
> something own from scratch.  The - not unuseful - mode is too hard to
> discover currently.

We have a chicken/egg problem, though.  Adding `diary-file' to
`auto-mode-alist' would be fine, but we calculate that in calendar.el,
so people not using the calendar won't get the mode.

We could move diary-file out of calendar.el and put it in...
bindings.el or something, though?

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no