Subject: Re: bug#53764: 27.1; shouldn't ~/diary be in diary-mode?

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 05 Feb 2022 22:54:07 +0100

Francesco Potortì <[email-masked]> writes:

> When calendar is loaded, diary-file is initialised.  After that, it
> could be added to the auto-mode-alist.

That's true.  Grepping around, it looks like we have a number of other
packages that also add to `auto-mode-alist', so there's some precedence
for doing this, but I'm a bit unsure in this case.  That is, the user
may have added something to auto-mode-alist themselves, and we don't
want to override that.

But I guess it's pretty unlikely.  Does anybody have an opinion?

> The reason I am asking is that I have used the diary for years, and
> only recently, by looking at the source code for other reasons, did I
> discover that a diary-mode exists.
>
> Now I have added -*-diary-*- line to my diary file, but in fact that
> should be automatic, I think.

I think the idea is that you view the diary via the `d' command in
Calendar, and that puts the file in diary mode, I think?

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no