Subject: 28.0.91; Recursive edit during dired-do-find-regexp-and-replace breaks isearch

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 03 Feb 2022 19:11:19 +0000 (UTC)

isearch-forward (C-s) while in a recursive edit (C-r) triggered from
dired-do-find-regexp-and-replace (Q in a dired buffer) always fails to
find any matches for any string, even if there are matches in the
buffer.

Steps to reproduce:
1. Open a dired buffer in a directory containing at least one file which
contains some text (e.g. "Hello world")
2. Run dired-do-find-regexp-and-replace to replace "Hello" with
"Goodbye" ("Q Hello RET Goodbye RET"); this will switch buffers
to the first matching file.   
3. Type C-r to enter a recursive edit (I'm guessing this runs
(recursive-edit)?)
4. At the start of the buffer, run isearch-forward searching for "world"
("C-s world RET")
5. Note that the isearch fails despite "world" being in the buffer.

For what it's worth, this interestingly doesn't happen with
project-query-regexp-replace (which also does multi-file query-replace).

In GNU Emacs 28.0.91 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.24.30, cairo version 1.16.0)
Repository revision: 525dc6e5c428185b62c72d7958cd4fe17937f126
Repository branch: master
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12011000
System Description: NixOS 21.05 (Okapi)

Configured using:
 'configure
 --prefix=/nix/store/rkpz8vsk15zlphra3hhngf96irwci7r3-emacs-git-20220115.0
 --disable-build-details --with-modules --with-x-toolkit=gtk3 --with-xft
 --with-cairo'

Configured features:
CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS GSETTINGS HARFBUZZ JPEG JSON
LIBOTF LIBSELINUX LIBSYSTEMD LIBXML2 M17N_FLT MODULES NOTIFY INOTIFY
PDUMPER PNG RSVG SECCOMP SOUND THREADS TIFF TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS X11 XDBE
XIM XPM GTK3 ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $EMACSLOADPATH: 
  value of $EMACSNATIVELOADPATH: /nix/store/fs7slsl0rz28h6dq8rnhgk4ddkk8dh0w-emacs-packages-deps/share/emacs/native-lisp:/nix/store/b854vn0hskfs7d2j4pr1vp71fhf4ynvc-emacs-packages-deps/share/emacs/native-lisp:::
  value of $LANG: C.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Dired by name

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  buffer-read-only: t
  line-number-mode: t
  indent-tabs-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
/home/sbaugh/.nix-profile/share/emacs/site-lisp/site-start hides /nix/store/b854vn0hskfs7d2j4pr1vp71fhf4ynvc-emacs-packages-deps/share/emacs/site-lisp/site-start
/home/sbaugh/.nix-profile/share/emacs/site-lisp/site-start hides /nix/store/rkpz8vsk15zlphra3hhngf96irwci7r3-emacs-git-20220115.0/share/emacs/site-lisp/site-start
/nix/store/b854vn0hskfs7d2j4pr1vp71fhf4ynvc-emacs-packages-deps/share/emacs/site-lisp/elpa/transient-20220112.1305/transient hides /nix/store/rkpz8vsk15zlphra3hhngf96irwci7r3-emacs-git-20220115.0/share/emacs/28.0.91/lisp/transient
/nix/store/b854vn0hskfs7d2j4pr1vp71fhf4ynvc-emacs-packages-deps/share/emacs/site-lisp/elpa/let-alist-1.0.6/let-alist hides /nix/store/rkpz8vsk15zlphra3hhngf96irwci7r3-emacs-git-20220115.0/share/emacs/28.0.91/lisp/emacs-lisp/let-alist

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr eieio-opt cl-extra speedbar ezimage dframe
find-func shortdoc help-fns radix-tree help-mode emacsbug message rmc
puny rfc822 mml mml-sec epa derived epg rfc6068 epg-config gnus-util
rmail rmail-loaddefs auth-source cl-seq eieio eieio-core cl-macs
eieio-loaddefs password-cache json map time-date subr-x mm-decode
mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader
sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils
misearch multi-isearch bug-reference pulse color vc-mtn vc-hg vc-git
diff-mode easy-mmode vc-bzr vc-src vc-sccs vc-svn vc-cvs vc-rcs vc
vc-dispatcher find-dired grep compile text-property-search comint
ansi-color xref project ring thingatpt dired-aux cl-loaddefs cl-lib
dired dired-loaddefs seq byte-opt gv bytecomp byte-compile cconv
iso-transl tooltip eldoc paren electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks
lisp-float-type elisp-mode mwheel term/x-win x-win term/common-win x-dnd
tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace
newcomment text-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar
rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock
font-lock syntax font-core term/tty-colors frame minibuffer cl-generic
cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao
korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech
european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese composite emoji-zwj charscript
charprop case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev obarray
cl-preloaded nadvice button loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp files
window text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages
mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote threads dbusbind
inotify dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting cairo
move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x multi-tty make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 588633 721804)
 (symbols 48 9814 41)
 (strings 32 58972 20078)
 (string-bytes 1 2344778)
 (vectors 16 49128)
 (vector-slots 8 391332 666289)
 (floats 8 169 491)
 (intervals 56 104017 11468)
 (buffers 992 22))