Subject: [bug#53751] 06/07: gnu: git: Update to 2.35.1.

From: Maxim Cournoyer <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 05 Apr 2022 09:00:05 -0400

Hi Christopher,

Christopher Baines <[email-masked]> writes:

> [email-masked] writes:
>
>> apteryx pushed a commit to branch master
>> in repository guix.
>>
>> commit 223a3d7f7fdb6af9c4c090785cab15d38680e887
>> Author: Maxim Cournoyer <[email-masked]>
>> AuthorDate: Mon Apr 4 00:06:48 2022 -0400
>>
>>     gnu: git: Update to 2.35.1.
>>
>>     * gnu/packages/version-control.scm (git): Update to 2.35.1.
>>     [phases]: Delete trailing #t.
>>
>>     Signed-off-by: Maxim Cournoyer <[email-masked]>
>>     Modified-by: Maxim Cournoyer <[email-masked]>
>
> I've been looking in to this commit, since I noticed a large number of
> rebuilds.
>
> It looks connected to Greg's patch submitted in Issue #53751, but rather
> than being authored by Greg, it's authored by Maxim.

Hm, indeed, the author field should have been Greg Hogan; not sure what
happened there (I applied it with 'git am -3' as usual); hence my
sign-off in the commit message metadata.  I'll pay more attention to
these in the future.

> Additionally, I'm guessing that the changes in Greg's patch are much
> less impactful in terms of rebuilds compared to this commit, which also
> removes the trailing #t from the phases, which will have affected every
> variant of the git package, including variants like git-minimal/fixed,
> which as the commit in the code says, is intended to rarely change.

Greg had marked it for the staging branch, but my summary verification
led me to believe only 347 packages would be impacted for (which I remember
finding a bit surprising):

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
$ guix refresh --list-dependent git
Building the following 186 packages would ensure 347 dependent packages
are rebuilt: [email-masked] [email-masked] [email-masked] [email-masked] [...]
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

and

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
$ guix refresh --list-dependent git-minimal Building the following 69
packages would ensure 213 dependent packages are rebuilt:
[email-masked] [email-masked] [...]
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

But I missed the git-minimal/fixed variant.  I should have tried the
'guix build libreoffice' test!

> I'm all for making changes fast, but I'm not sure the removal of #t from
> the phases in thisq package definition is worth the cost of the
> thousands of package rebuilds on the master branch.

Yeah, I don't think it's worth it.  Reverted it for now, and applied the
original version that didn't touch the trailing #t:

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
78e8c20179 origin/master gnu: git: Update to 2.35.1.
8a9bf794e1 Revert "gnu: git: Update to 2.35.1."
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

Thanks for the report, and sorry for the mess :-)

Maxim