Subject: bug#53749: 29.0.50; [PATCH] Xref backend for TeX buffers

From: Arash Esbati <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2022 12:54:52 +0100

David Fussner <[email-masked]> writes:

>> The problem is that there's no way for Emacs to communicate that one of
>> these programming modes is to be used.  This could be fixed in two ways:
>>
>> A. by creating latex-prog and latex-expl3 derived modes in Emacs, or
>>
>> B. adding heuristics to Digestif to decide if a given file is "document"
>>    or "code".
>>
>> Do you have any thoughts about A?  Would there be any other benefits in
>> Emacs to justify the latex-prog and latex-expl3 major modes?  It seems
>> that (at least in AUCTeX) @ is always considered a letter, which may be
>> innocuous but is kinda wrong.
>
> The only thought I have is that it sounds like a new major mode would
> be overkill for what you need here.  I would think that a variable or
> defcustom might do the trick, or at most maybe a minor mode?

Sorry if I'm missing something here, I wasn't tracking this thread.  But
does doctex-mode (or docTeX in AUCTeX) fit the bill here?

Best, Arash