Subject: bug#53749: 29.0.50; [PATCH] Xref backend for TeX buffers

From: David Fussner <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2024 17:37:18 +0100

Thank you, Stefan -- I didn't know about
major-mode-remap-alist/defaults. Do you think TeX and friends are
handled by emacs distinctively enough to warrant keeping some
specialist extension-handling code in tex-mode.el, or do you think
some changes should be more generally available, in grep.el, say? (I'm
wondering whether it might be useful, for example, for
semantic-symref-derive-find-filepatterns to add extensions from
auto-mode-alist even when some extensions are found in
semantic-symref-filepattern-alist.)

David.

On Mon, 22 Apr 2024 at 17:15, Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
> > auto-mode-alist. When both fail to produce any file extensions it
> > tells the user to customize semantic-symref-filepattern-alist.
>
> Yes, this is not ideal.
>
> I think ideally we'd build a regexp from `auto-mode-alist` and
> `major-mode-remap-alist/defaults`, tho it may require additional info.
>
> E.g. we may need to complement that with additional "related modes"
> (e.g. html modes may want to mention `php-mode` as "related").
>
>
>         Stefan
>