Subject: bug#53749: 29.0.50; [PATCH] Xref backend for TeX buffers

From: Ikumi Keita <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 16 Sep 2023 14:53:16 +0900

Hi all,

>>>>> Tassilo Horn <[email-masked]> writes:
>>> Do AUCTeX modes inherit from tex-mode?

> Not currently but in Keita's feature/fix-mode-names-overlap branch

Currently, no. In feater/fix-mode-names-overlap branch, the major mode
iheritance relations are:

text-mode      --+-- TeX-mode
                 +-- Texinfo-mode

TeX-mode       --+-- plain-TeX-mode
                 +-- LaTeX-mode
                 +-- ConTeXt-mode

plain-TeX-mode --+-- AmSTeX-mode
                 +-- japanese-plain-TeX-mode

LaTeX-mode     --+-- docTeX-mode
                 +-- japanese-LaTeX-mode

(There are ConTeXt-en-mode and ConTeXt-nl-mode as well, but my current
personal plain is to delete them.)

I don't think it's a good idea to inherit from tex-mode; it isn't
diffcult to change the "top" mode from text-mode with tex-mode, but in
that case LaTeX-mode can't have both built-in latex-mode and TeX-mode as
its parent mode.

(Maybe an exception is Texinfo-mode. It would make sense to have
built-in texinfo-mode as parent of Texinfo-mode. If there is a good
reason to do so, I won't object strongly.)

> which will probably become AUCTeX 14, I guess.

I hope so. :-)

>>> Or all call tex-common-initialization? Then you could set that
>>> variable locally inside that function once.

> Again, not right now but probably in the future.

Currently, they don't call tex-common-initialization, but we can do so
in TeX-mode. (But I haven't consider its pros and cons deeply yet.)

Best regards,
Ikumi Keita
#StandWithUkraine #StopWarInUkraine