Subject: Re: bug#53749: 29.0.50; [PATCH] Xref backend for TeX buffers

From: Tassilo Horn <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Sep 2023 20:45:45 +0200

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

Hi Eli & all, thanks for inviting me to the discussion.  I'm adding
Keita, too, because he's currently the by far most active AUCTeX
developer.

>> Do AUCTeX modes inherit from tex-mode?

Not currently but in Keita's feature/fix-mode-names-overlap branch which
will probably become AUCTeX 14, I guess.

>> Or all call tex-common-initialization? Then you could set that
>> variable locally inside that function once.

Again, not right now but probably in the future.

>> All in all, it might not be wise to modify the behavior of
>> third-party packages from inside Emacs this way (they might have
>> other expectations, or there's going to appear a new major mode that
>> needs the same treatment anyway).
>> 
>> Setting a variable to be used through mode inheritance or delegation
>> is fine, but if that doesn't help, I would probably stop at defining
>> a helper function or two and documenting how it should be used. And
>> then maybe work with AUCTeX people to get the remaining necessary
>> changes in from their side (or just leaving that up to the user,
>> depending on how functional the default config ends up being).

That sounds reasonable.

Bye,
Tassilo