Subject: bug#53744: 27.2; [debbugs] soap-client.el: `string-search' (void function?)

From: Thomas Fitzsimmons <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 03 Feb 2022 10:58:03 -0500

Mattias Engdegård <[email-masked]> writes:

> 3 feb. 2022 kl. 15.48 skrev Thomas Fitzsimmons <[email-masked]>:
>
>> Done, added (emacs "24.1") to Package-Requires.  Excorporate 1.0.0,
>> which uses most of soap-client's features, works back to Emacs 24.1.
>
> Excellent! Do you have a CI or other arrangement to test that
> soap-client and excorporate work with versions back to 24.1?

I've been testing it by hand against a server for each Excorporate
release.

I have Alex Harsanyi's soap-client test suite but it's probably not
redistributable because it contains WSDL files that don't have proper
license information.  Maybe I could rig something up on sourcehut
(sr.ht) to periodically run that test suite with Emacs 24.1 and
soap-client from master.  It would be nice if there were some official
GNU ELPA CI for older versions of Emacs though, since, as you point out,
this same issue applies to other core packages.

> For instance, soap-inspect.el also uses seq-random-elt which seems to
> have been introduced in Emacs 26.

Yeah, soap-inspect.el is a debugging tool, not a library like
soap-client.el, so I'd say maintaining backward compatibility isn't as
important for it.

Thomas