Subject: bug#53729: 29.0.50; Tamil text not shaped in modeline

From: Jai Vetrivelan <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 19 Feb 2022 09:50:10 +0530

Hello,

On 2022-02-15, 16:26 +0200, Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> wrote:

>> > But I cannot reproduce this on my system, so it is hard to tell what
>> > is going on here.
>> 
>> That is really unfortunate.
>
> Maybe someone else can reproduce this?

I tried reproducing the above issue and can confirm it.

The text is weirdly shaped when opening a binary file with file
extension. There are no messages in stdout/stderr, however.

Buffer 1: Opening a image file without extension in its file name.
Buffer 2: A ASCII text file.
Buffer 3: (generate-new-buffer "கட்டற்ற மென்பொருள்")
Buffer 4: The same image as in buffer one but with file extension in
          the file name.

It looks as if the problem is with the file extension and not the file
itself, I might be wrong:

-- 
Jai Vetrivelan

In GNU Emacs 28.0.60 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.24.24, cairo version 1.16.0)
Windowing system distributor 'System Description: Guix System

Configured using:
 'configure
 CONFIG_SHELL=/gnu/store/pwcp239kjf7lnj5i4lkdzcfcxwcfyk72-bash-minimal-5.0.16/bin/bash
 SHELL=/gnu/store/pwcp239kjf7lnj5i4lkdzcfcxwcfyk72-bash-minimal-5.0.16/bin/bash
 --prefix=/gnu/store/q9siyz7hlr5vwi9lk04rywh9l8pqw5az-emacs-pgtk-native-comp-28.0.60-215.336a549
 --enable-fast-install --with-native-compilation --with-pgtk
 --with-xwidgets --with-modules --with-cairo --disable-build-details'

Configured features:
ACL CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS GPM GSETTINGS HARFBUZZ JPEG
JSON LIBOTF LIBSELINUX LIBXML2 MODULES NATIVE_COMP NOTIFY INOTIFY
PDUMPER PGTK PNG RSVG SECCOMP SOUND THREADS TIFF TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS XIM
XWIDGETS GTK3 ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $EMACSLOADPATH: /home/anon/.guix-profile/share/emacs/site-lisp:/gnu/store/q9siyz7hlr5vwi9lk04rywh9l8pqw5az-emacs-pgtk-native-comp-28.0.60-215.336a549/share/emacs/28.0.60/lisp
  value of $LANG: en_US.utf8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  eldoc-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  indent-tabs-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
/gnu/store/0vhklp6c0npzf5xv8jx0iw857sglm77i-emacs-transient-0.3.7/share/emacs/site-lisp/transient-0.3.7/transient hides /gnu/store/q9siyz7hlr5vwi9lk04rywh9l8pqw5az-emacs-pgtk-native-comp-28.0.60-215.336a549/share/emacs/28.0.60/lisp/transient

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message rmc puny dired dired-loaddefs
rfc822 mml mml-sec epa derived epg rfc6068 epg-config gnus-util rmail
rmail-loaddefs auth-source cl-seq eieio eieio-core cl-macs
eieio-loaddefs password-cache json map text-property-search time-date
subr-x seq byte-opt gv bytecomp byte-compile cconv mm-decode mm-bodies
mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader cl-loaddefs
cl-lib sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils
iso-transl tooltip eldoc paren electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks
lisp-float-type elisp-mode mwheel term/pgtk-win pgtk-win term/common-win
tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace
newcomment text-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar
rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock
font-lock syntax font-core term/tty-colors frame minibuffer cl-generic
cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao
korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech
european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese composite emoji-zwj charscript
charprop case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev obarray
cl-preloaded nadvice button loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp files
window text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages
mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote threads
xwidget-internal dbusbind inotify dynamic-setting system-font-setting
font-render-setting cairo move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit pgtk multi-tty
make-network-process native-compile emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 73225 6095)
 (symbols 48 6645 0)
 (strings 32 19871 2480)
 (string-bytes 1 721258)
 (vectors 16 14961)
 (vector-slots 8 306690 9732)
 (floats 8 22 34)
 (intervals 56 712 0)
 (buffers 992 11))