Subject: Re: bug#53729: 29.0.50; Tamil text not shaped in modeline

From: Visuwesh <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 03 Feb 2022 07:15:01 +0530

[ Resending message since it didn't appear in the archives.  ]

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

Hello, Eli

>> From: Visuwesh <[email-masked]>
>> Date: Wed, 02 Feb 2022 22:25:48 +0530
>> 
>> Tamil text is not shaped properly in the modeline.  Please view the
>> attached file "Noto_Serif_modeline.jpg" to see what I mean.  I set
>> "tamil" script to use "Noto Serif Tamil" in the default fontset like so,
>> 
>>     (set-fontset-font "fontset-default" 'tamil '("Noto Serif Tamil"
>> . "iso10646-1"))
>> 
>> Changing the font to "Lohit Tamil" [1] does not fix the shaping issue so
>> Noto Serif Tamil is not the problem (See file
>> "Lohit_Tamil_modeline.png").
>> 
>> As shown in "Noto_Serif_Expected.png", the text is shaped as I would
>> expect, in the minibuffer.
>
> on the mode line, the buffer is shown in bold, so perhaps there's a
> problem with the bold variant of the Noto Serif Tamil font?  If you
> type the same text in a buffer, but give it the 'bold' face, do you
> see the same problem with buffer text as on the mode line?

No, when I give it the bold face and insert it in a buffer, the text is
shaped properly.  Then, I tried setting mode-line-format to
"அக்கிச்சிறகுகள்" and '(:propertize "அக்கிச்சிறகுகள்" face bold) and in both
cases, the text is shaped properly.  I'm not sure where the problem is
anymore.  I attached screenshots of the same as well.