Subject: bug#5372: Calling url-retrieve-synchronously in a timer

From: Lennart Borgman <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Jan 2010 16:17:49 +0100

On Wed, Jan 13, 2010 at 3:43 PM, Stefan Monnier
<[email-masked]> wrote:
>> It looks like url-retrieve-synchronously is not finished when run in a
>> timer.  Is that expected behaviour?
>> It looks like it hangs in accept-process-output.
>
> It's not expected (for me anyway), but I'm not completely
> surprised either.

So do you consider it a bug? Or should it rather be documented for the
moment? Does it work the same way on other platforms? (I tested on
w32, forgot to mention that.)

> Furthermore, it doesn't look like a good thing to
> do anyway: timer code should not run for an indefinite amount of time,

Maybe you misunderstod me. If I do the call to
url-retrieve-synchronously from the command loop it finishes very
quickly (in this case), but if I do the same thing in a timer it
hangs.

> so you should probably use url-retrieve instead.

Thanks. Yes, I already did and that solved my problem, but the bug
report is not about that.