Subject: Re: bug#53718: 29.0.50; Recent change to font hinting in --with-pgtk build

From: Po Lu <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 02 Feb 2022 18:35:45 +0800

Protesilaos Stavrou <[email-masked]> writes:

> Dear maintainers,
>
> I built Emacs with commit 02054d9cd1f5c6a5ca3555207235522532477e10 using
> --with-pgtk and have noticed that there is a change to the hinting of
> the fonts relative to commit d25cb37694de446e6dd1095f489d5436ea9e20ae.
>
> Please refer to the attached screenshots which compare the two commits
> using Hack and Source Code Pro, respectively.  The differences are
> subtle, though you can see how the 'm' is affected.
>
> The hinting is inconsistent.  Even in this very message.  Notice the
> quotes in this 'Hack' with the one below which has a thinner first quote
> and thicker second one:
>
> 'Hack'
>
> All the best,
> Protesilaos

Thanks for reporting the bug.  Could it be a problem with your system?

Can you reproduce the problem with an X11 build with Cairo drawing?
Running configure without any arguments should produce such a build on
your system.

And please try bisecting to find exactly which commit caused the
problem.