Subject: 29.0.50; Failure to parse addresses with angle-brackets without display names

From: Michael Welsh Duggan <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 01 Feb 2022 22:40:12 -0500

Attempting to send an email to an address like <[email-masked]> without
an attached display name causes the address to be flagged as suspicious.

Recipe from emacs -Q:

    C-x m
    <[email-masked]>
    C-n Test
    C-c C-c

This results in Emacs notifying me that there is a suspicious address.

According to RFC 5322, an address can be a mailbox, which can be a
name-addr, which is an optional display-name followed by an angle-addr.
So an address like

    <[email-masked]>

without an attached display name should be parsed as a valid address.
The problem appears to be caused by a bug in `ietf-drums-parse-address'.
Near the end of the function it calls `rfc2047-decode-string' on the
current `display-string', which is, at this point, `nil'.

In GNU Emacs 29.0.50 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, X toolkit, cairo version 1.16.0)
 of 2022-01-31 built on miko
Repository revision: cce477cad7ffffbfc1a21e9dd711b32f8e2b3ea3
Repository branch: master
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12013000
System Description: Debian GNU/Linux bookworm/sid

Configured using:
 'configure --without-toolkit-scroll-bars --with-x-toolkit=lucid
 --with-native-compilation --with-xinput2'

Configured features:
CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS GPM GSETTINGS HARFBUZZ JPEG JSON
LCMS2 LIBOTF LIBSELINUX LIBSYSTEMD LIBXML2 M17N_FLT MODULES NATIVE_COMP
NOTIFY INOTIFY PDUMPER PNG RSVG SECCOMP SOUND SQLITE3 THREADS TIFF X11
XAW3D XDBE XIM XINPUT2 XPM LUCID ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=ibus
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Message

Features:
(goto-addr bug-reference magit-extras pcase edebug gnus-fun shr-color
color grep gud pcmpl-unix shadow emacsbug cus-start cl-print debug
backtrace apropos shortdoc help-fns radix-tree mailalias smtpmail
sendmail vc-git vc-dispatcher dabbrev org-element avl-tree generator
ol-eww eww xdg url-queue thingatpt mm-url ol-rmail ol-mhe ol-irc ol-info
ol-gnus nnselect gnus-search eieio-opt speedbar ezimage dframe
ol-docview doc-view jka-compr image-mode exif ol-bibtex ol-bbdb ol-w3m
ol-doi org-link-doi org ob ob-tangle ob-ref ob-lob ob-table ob-exp
org-macro org-footnote org-src ob-comint org-pcomplete org-list
org-faces org-entities noutline outline org-version ob-emacs-lisp
ob-core ob-eval org-table oc-basic bibtex ol org-keys oc org-compat
advice org-macs org-loaddefs find-func cal-menu calendar cal-loaddefs
flow-fill mule-util sort gnus-cite mm-archive mail-extr textsec
uni-scripts idna-mapping ucs-normalize uni-confusable textsec-check
gnus-async gnus-bcklg qp gnus-ml disp-table misearch multi-isearch
gnus-topic cursor-sensor nndraft nnmh nnfolder utf-7 epa-file
network-stream gnus-agent gnus-srvr gnus-score score-mode nnvirtual
gnus-msg gnus-art mm-uu mml2015 mm-view mml-smime smime dig gnus-cache
gnus-sum shr pixel-fill kinsoku svg gnus-demon nntp gnus-group gnus-undo
gnutls gnus-start gnus-dbus gnus-cloud gnus-spec gnus-win face-remap
dired-aux flyspell ispell view pacproxy descr-text cus-edit pp cus-load
time sieve-manage sasl sasl-anonymous sasl-login sasl-plain rng-loc
rng-uri rng-parse rng-match rng-dt rng-util rng-pttrn nxml-parse nxml-ns
nxml-enc xmltok nxml-util sgml-mode facemenu dom python tramp-sh tramp
tramp-loaddefs trampver tramp-integration files-x tramp-compat
parse-time iso8601 ls-lisp ps-print ps-print-loaddefs ps-def lpr picture
nm dbus xml magit-submodule magit-obsolete magit-blame magit-stash
magit-reflog magit-bisect magit-push magit-pull magit-fetch magit-clone
magit-remote magit-commit magit-sequence magit-notes magit-worktree
magit-tag magit-merge magit-branch magit-reset magit-files magit-refs
magit-status magit magit-repos magit-apply magit-wip magit-log
which-func imenu magit-diff smerge-mode diff diff-mode easy-mmode
git-commit log-edit pcvs-util add-log magit-core magit-autorevert
autorevert filenotify magit-margin magit-transient magit-process
with-editor shell pcomplete server magit-mode transient comp comp-cstr
warnings rx cl-extra edmacro kmacro help-mode format-spec magit-git
magit-section magit-utils crm dash nnimap nnmail gnus-int mail-source
gnus-range message yank-media rfc822 mml mml-sec epa mm-decode mm-bodies
mm-encode mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader utf7 netrc nnoo gnus wid-edit
nnheader gnus-util time-date mail-utils range gnus-o365-oauth2 oauth2
url-http url-auth mail-parse rfc2231 rfc2047 rfc2045 mm-util ietf-drums
mail-prsvr url-gw nsm rmc puny plstore generated generic-x epg rfc6068
epg-config ediff ediff-merg ediff-mult ediff-wind ediff-diff ediff-help
ediff-init ediff-util dired-x dired dired-loaddefs compile
text-property-search comint ring ansi-color cc-mode cc-fonts cc-guess
cc-menus cc-cmds cc-styles cc-align cc-engine cc-vars cc-defs derived
debian-el info package browse-url url url-proxy url-privacy url-expand
url-methods url-history url-cookie url-domsuf url-util mailcap
url-handlers url-parse auth-source cl-seq eieio eieio-core cl-macs
eieio-loaddefs password-cache json map url-vars seq gv subr-x byte-opt
bytecomp byte-compile cconv cl-loaddefs cl-lib iso-transl tooltip eldoc
paren electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type elisp-mode
mwheel term/x-win x-win term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image
regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode lisp-mode
prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu
timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax font-core
term/tty-colors frame minibuffer cl-generic cham georgian utf-8-lang
misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms
cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian
cyrillic chinese composite emoji-zwj charscript charprop case-table
epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev obarray cl-preloaded nadvice
button loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp files window text-properties
overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget keymap
hashtable-print-readable backquote threads dbusbind inotify lcms2
dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting cairo x-toolkit
xinput2 x multi-tty make-network-process native-compile emacs)

-- 
Michael Welsh Duggan
([email-masked])