Subject: bug#53712: closed (Re: bug#53712: Guix System hangs after boot with linux-libre 5.15.17)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2022 15:09:04 +0000

Your bug report

#53712: Guix System hangs after boot with linux-libre 5.15.17

which was filed against the guix package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
53712: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=53712
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#53712: Guix System hangs after boot with linux-libre 5.15.17
From: Leo Famulari <[email-masked]>
To: Squirrel via Bug reports for GNU Guix <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2022 10:08:38 -0500
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

On Fri, Feb 11, 2022 at 04:03:03AM +0800, Squirrel via Bug reports for GNU Guix wrote:
> It seems that this is a bug from upstream linux, which may be patched soon.
> Please see https://lore.kernel.org/stable/[email-masked]/

Good news, this bug has been fixed in the latest group of stable Linux
releases:

5.16.11
5.15.25
5.10.102
5.4.181
4.19.231
4.14.268
4.9.303

For our default release series, 5.15, it was fixed as commit
ddd46059f7d99119b62d44c519df7a79f2e6a515:

https://cdn.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v5.x/ChangeLog-5.15.25

Subject: Guix System hangs after boot with linux-libre 5.15.17
From: Leo Famulari <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 1 Feb 2022 15:39:27 -0500
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Guix System on x86_64 hangs after boot when reconfigured to use
linux-libre 5.15.17.

The system becomes unresponsive to keyboard input after boot. Sometimes
it reaches the login prompt, sometimes not. Services that take a while
to start, typically finishing after the prompt is displayed, do not
ever start.

I bisected and confirmed that the problem is introduced in Guix Git
commit aad96ed54070 "gnu: linux-libre: Update to 5.15.17."

I could not reproduce the problem with `guix system vm [...]`. Maybe
this means that the problem only occurs after reconfiguring, rather than
a fresh system, or maybe it just doesn't occur at all in a KVM VM.

I'll try with 5.15.18 and the 5.10 series. We are still unable to deploy
linux-libre 5.16 for Guix System users due to this bug:

https://issues.guix.gnu.org/53554