Subject: bug#53710: "guix pull" doesn't have nice error messages in case of network errors

From: Maxime Devos <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 02 Mar 2022 14:14:58 +0100

Ludovic Courtès schreef op wo 02-03-2022 om 12:19 [+0100]:
> > ./guix/serialization.scm:80:6: In procedure get-bytevector-n*:
> > ERROR:
> >   1. &nar-error:
> >       file: #f
> >       port: #<input-output: file 10>
> > guix pull: error: You found a bug: the program
> > '/gnu/store/rx23w5k5nys4a2hjwcy4lampkhnslj3m-compute-guix-
> > derivation'
> > failed to compute the derivation for Guix (version:
> > "787b13a5d9df8f0cc7170de1b80cead68b516c66"; system: "x86_64-linux";
> > host version: "90a41fe388102d448b3f91a070e38a7680d2d568"; pull-
> > version: 1).
> > Please report the COMPLETE output above by email to
> > <[email-masked]>.
> 
> Thanks for reporting the issue.  Unfortunately, I suspect it was
> “just”
> a transient issue (probably a networking issue while downloading
> substitutes for guile-ssh, which we see in the backtrace).  It’s
> unfortunate that it crashed like that.

Even if it's ‘only’ a networking issue, shouldn't it be reported
better?  When "guix package -u" fails due to networking errors, the
error messages are much clearer.  Why not the same for "guix pull"?
Perhaps the issue should be reopened?

Greetings,
Maxime.