Subject: Re: [bug#53704] Bump

From: Maxime Devos <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 12 Feb 2022 12:35:29 +0100

Charles via Guix-patches via schreef op za 12-02-2022 om 00:30 [+0000]:
> +    (source
> +     (origin
> +       (method git-fetch)
> +       (uri (git-reference
> +             (url
> "https://github.com/visualboyadvance-m/visualboyadvance-m/")
> +             (commit (string-append "v" version))))
> +       (file-name (git-file-name name version))
> +       (sha256
> +        (base32
> "1kgpbvng3c12ws0dy92zc0azd94h0i3j4vm7b67zc8mi3pqsppdg"))
> +       (patches (search-patches "visualboyadvance-m-fix-
> rpath.patch"))))

The iniparser package is bundled in src/common/iniparser.c and
src/common/iniparser.h.

A part of a variant of zlib is in src/common/memgzio.c and
src/common/memgzio.h.  I think it's ok in this case, since it appears
to be modified for use in visualboyadvance-m.  However, the license of
zlib needs to be respected:

/* gzio.c -- IO on .gz files
 * Copyright (C) 1995-2002 Jean-loup Gailly.
 * For conditions of distribution and use, see copyright notice in
zlib.h
 *
 * Compile this file with -DNO_DEFLATE to avoid the compression code.
 */

I don't see zlib.h anywhere and the zlib license requires preserving
the license notice:

  3. This notice may not be removed or altered from any source
distribution.

There is another problem: the version in visualboyadvance-m is old
(2002, according to the copyright line) while there have been
quite a few bugfixes since then (https://www.zlib.net/ChangeLog.txt).

Another bundled library: src/common/dictionary.c and
src/common/dictionary.h.

There is also src/filters/bilinear.cpp which is extracted from Exult
(GPL2+ licensed), but it appears that the copyright+license header was
not preserved, while preserving that is a requirement of the GPL IIUC?

The files in src/filters/xBRZ are GPL3 licensed, so 'license:gpl2+'
in the package definition seems inaccurate.  It is unclear of GPL3-only
or GPL3-or-later was meant.

The file src/gba/debugger-expr-lex.cpp and src/gba/debugger-expr-
yacc.cpp are generated by flex and Bison, can they be generated during
the build?

libretro is bundled in src/libretro, can it be unbundled?

src/expr.cpp and src/expr.cpp.h are generated files, not source code.

A part of glibc is bundled in src/sdl/getopt1.c, src/sdl/getopt.c
and src/sdl/getopt.h.

wxwidgets is bundled in src/wx.

Greetings,
Maxime.