Subject: Re: bug#53700: Guix package is hardcoded in guix home

From: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2023 14:11:56 +0200

Hi,

Andrew Tropin <[email-masked]> skribis:

>> I’m not sure I understand.  As you write, the ‘guix’ package is used in
>> (gnu home services) only to get gettext catalogs; AFAICS it’s not used
>> for anything else.
>>
>> Could you clarify what you had in mind?
>
> I was hit by this one yesterday as well.  I tried to manage just a few
> config files with Guix Home on foreign distro, but it started to
> download 46 megabytes of guix package, while I expected it to work
> completely offline.

Ouch.  We should do better indeed, though I’m not sure how.

One solution would be to not need those catalogs on the build side in
the first place, which means making sure that error handling and logging
always happens on the “host side”, as is the case for pretty much
everything else.

Ludo’.