Subject: bug#53698: 29.0.50; ibus input method of chinese with rime engine can't work in v27 and ibus candidate menu blink in v29

From: Štěpán Němec <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 03 Feb 2022 12:32:02 +0100

On Thu, 03 Feb 2022 09:20:56 +0800
Po Lu via wrote:

>> could you hint me how to solved (1) mainly?  because there are
>> packages or configs in emacs 29 can't work and the ibus menu blink
>> when i type words in emacs 29 continuously using ibus-rime.
>
> Does that only happen under Xwayland?

For me it happens on X (GNU/Linux, default GTK build). I believe
bug#53172 is the same issue, maybe others.

> If so, set `x-gtk-use-native-input' to t, which will let Emacs use the
> GTK input module instead, and should resolve the issue.

The problem with that option is that it apparently breaks some key
modifiers, e.g. with x-gtk-use-native-input non-nil it becomes
impossible to bind C-S-u (Emacs processes it the same as C-u).

AFAICT, X input has been broken (or rather, you get to pick: either you
get working IME (with x-gtk-use-native-input non-nil), or working
modifier keybindings (with it being nil); but given that
x-gtk-use-native-input defaults to nil, for many/most people IME will
just stop working; also, it's not just IMEs like fcitx or ibus,
XkbLayout switching has the same problem) since the commit that
introduced the option (bisected yesterday):

commit d76fb0c11e98
Author: Po Lu <[email-masked]>
Date:   Sat Jan 8 15:21:51 2022 +0800

    Allow using GTK+ to handle input methods on X

-- 
Štěpán