Subject: bug#53696: Integer overflow on Guix GC size calculation

From: Ekaitz Zarraga <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 01 Feb 2022 21:54:11 +0000

Hi,

‐‐‐‐‐‐‐ Original Message ‐‐‐‐‐‐‐

On Tuesday, February 1st, 2022 at 10:20 PM, Liliana Marie Prikler <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
> I find it somewhat concerning that you've accumulated more than 2^64
> bytes of garbage.

I'm a dirty boy.

> Are some items counted double here?

The number started growing from 0 and then that appeared and it continued
smoothly from the previous. It's like something went bad in the middle.

> Other than that, that's pretty normal size_t wraparound semantics. I
> don't think that number is used for anything other than displaying.

Showing wrong information to the people that use the program is pretty
weird. The program still works but showing wrong data is worse than
not showing it in my opinion.
I'll take a look and try to see if I can fix it.

> Cheers

Best,
Ekaitz