Subject: Re: [PATCH 4/5] services: pulseaudio: Add an extra-script-files configuration field.

From: Liliana Marie Prikler <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 01 Feb 2022 22:26:54 +0100

Hi,

Am Dienstag, dem 01.02.2022 um 15:27 -0500 schrieb Maxim Cournoyer:
> [...]
> > Is there a particular use-case for this (other than working around
> > the location issue of default.pa et al.)?  If not, I'd rather make
> > it s.t. our other files can more easily be stitched together in-
> > place.
> 
> You mean, a use case for extra-script-files?  
Yes.

> Sorry, I missed something in the "make it s.t. our other [...]"; what
> does "s.t." stands for?
"such that" or "so that".  Pretty common among mathematicians, I think
🙃

> My use case is the one I documented in the manual; setting a default
> card profile for example.  Also choosing the default sink and source
> of a card; this can be done in client.conf but that doesn't get
> reflected anywhere on the state of a running pulseaudio server it
> seems, contrary to calling 'set-default-sink ...', which takes effect
> server-side.
And you can't do this inside default.pa, because ... ?

> > Also, assuming that we're using file-like objects here, I think we
> > should use the store name minus prefix and hash for the file name. 
> > E.g. if Alice adds soundblaster.pa, it'd make sense to label it
> > soundblaster.pa, so that changes to snippet order don't mess up any
> > configuration referring to those files.
> 
> I actually wanted to do that but decided against since there's no
> clean API to retrieve the name of a G-Exp file-like object (it could
> be done, currently, but it'd be messy and fragile, it seems).
> 
> But good observation, I wanted to document that the extra script
> files are loaded in the order they are listed.
Isn't that what "strip-store-file-name" from (guix build utils) does?
(Let's ignore hard-coded hash length...)

Cheers