Subject: Re: [PATCH v2 2/4] gnu: pulseaudio: Graft to adjust configuration.

From: Liliana Marie Prikler <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2022 06:20:37 +0100

Hi Maxim,

Am Donnerstag, dem 24.02.2022 um 17:00 -0500 schrieb Maxim Cournoyer:
> Thank you for your continued feedback.  The reason I prefer this
> simple substitution to a conditional one is two-fold:
> 
> 1. It avoids two actors potentially touching the default 'script-
> file' (the pulseaudio-service-type code as well as the user), which
> could be unwieldy (do we plug the default.pa.d after their changes to
> ensure it is there, or before, which means it'd potentially be
> erased?).  Having it part of the shipped default.pa file makes this
> simpler to reason with.
Sure, but all we'd need here is proper documentation.  For the record,
I would check if a `source /etc/pulse/default.pa.d' is in the user-
supplied file (even if commented) and append it if not.

> 2. It allows foreign distribution users to keep their custom user
> script working even when they use our pulseaudio package (it makes
> our pulseaudio package behave as intended by upstream).
That ignores the case where users modify their distro's default.pa
*and* put stuff into default.pa.d.  This might be necessary in some
scenarios where the upstream default breaks user expectations.  I'd
really prefer if foreign distro users just set their environment
variables, as those work unconditionally as intended.

> I wouldn't mind using a feature branch to get the < 2k dependent
> packages rebuilt as suggested by Leo, if you think that's preferable.
That would work for the rebuilds, making this not a graft, but I'm
still concerned whether we really want these semantics or not.  With
the WebkitGTK bug fixed, we can put our generated default.pa into /etc
again, making it more debuggable.  My personal opinion is still on
explicitly declared rather than implicitly assumed.

Cheers