Subject: bug#53671: closed (Re: bug#53671: 26.3; Doc of `pre-redisplay-functions')

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Wed, 02 Feb 2022 17:47:01 +0000

Your bug report

#53671: 26.3; Doc of `pre-redisplay-functions'

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
53671: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=53671
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#53671: 26.3; Doc of `pre-redisplay-functions'
From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
To: Drew Adams <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 02 Feb 2022 19:46:09 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

> From: Drew Adams <[email-masked]>
> Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2022 22:06:03 +0000
> 
> The doc (string and Elisp manual) does not say what args the functions
> are expected to accept.  It says only that the hook "is called once in
> each window that is about to be redisplayed".

You are again reading a doc string in an old Emacs version.  the
current doc string does describe the argument with which the function
is called.

Subject: 26.3; Doc of `pre-redisplay-functions'
From: Drew Adams <[email-masked]>
To: "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2022 22:06:03 +0000
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

The doc (string and Elisp manual) does not say what args the functions
are expected to accept.  It says only that the hook "is called once in
each window that is about to be redisplayed".  Calling a funtion "in" a
window is not the same as passing the window to the function.  As it
stands now, the most usual reading of that "in" is that the function is
called with the window selected.  And if nothing is said about arguments
then a reasonable assumption is that no arguments are passed.

In GNU Emacs 26.3 (build 1, x86_64-w64-mingw32)
 of 2019-08-29
Repository revision: 96dd0196c28bc36779584e47fffcca433c9309cd
Windowing system distributor `Microsoft Corp.', version 10.0.19043
Configured using:
 `configure --without-dbus --host=x86_64-w64-mingw32
 --without-compress-install 'CFLAGS=-O2 -static -g3''