Subject: Re: bug#53668: Updating substitutes on LAN hosts dies unexpectedly

From: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 May 2022 10:21:37 +0200

Hi,

Maxim Cournoyer <[email-masked]> skribis:

> Maxime Devos <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> Ludovic Courtès schreef op wo 11-05-2022 om 16:58 [+0200]:
>>> However, this may well be this ‘guix publish’ bug that was recently
>>> fixed, whereby ‘guix publish’ without ‘--cache’ would send bogus HTTP
>>> replies:
>>> 
>>>   https://issues.guix.gnu.org/54723
>>> 
>>> Could you confirm?
>>> 
>>> Ludo’.
>>
>> Even then, the error message says ‘wrong type error ...’, shouldn't it
>> say something like ‘bogus HTTP’ or ‘bogus narinfo’ or such instead?
>
> I agree that a more accurate error message would have been useful.  If
> you have the bandwidth for a patch, I'd be more than happy reviewing it
> :-).

HTTP response parsing happens in (web response) though, not in Guix, so
this is where things should be patch.

Currently that code pretty much expects it’s talking to a well-behaved
HTTP server.  Changing it to gracefully deal with any kind of garbage
might turn out to be quite an effort.

Food for thought!

Ludo’.