Subject: bug#5365: 23.1.91; Wrong type argument: keymapp, ("DEAD" . 35215396)

From: Chong Yidong <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Jan 2010 14:08:33 -0500

> | % emacs -Q
> | Wrong type argument: keymapp, ("DEAD" . 35215396)
>
> Unfortunately this is a Heisenbug, I'm not able to reproduce it under
> gdb.  It even depends on the exact contents of argv[0], i.e. running
> "/usr/bin/emacs -Q" or "emacs-snapshot -Q" does not show the error.
>
> A similar issue has been reported against Debian's emacs23 package, see
> http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=550170.  The most
> valuable message there is probably
> http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=550170#26.

Pretty bizaare.  I can't reproduce this on my machine, but according to
the Debian bug report, it seems to be related to environment variables
somehow.  Do you see the bug if you start Emacs with an empty
environment like

 env -i DISPLAY=":0.0" HOME=/home/cyd /home/cyd/emacs/src/emacs

(replacing cyd with your username)?