Subject: bug#53645: Unable to guix pull on pinebook pro

From: Pierre Langlois <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 02 Feb 2022 22:35:07 +0000

Hi,

"D. Birch" <[email-masked]> writes:

> Thank-you for all the help.
>
> I left the laptop ticking away again after adding 10G of swap.
>
> I've attached the stdout and stderr, as before.
>
> Things got much further and the system was building for the whole day, I left it running overnight and in the morning hit another "bug".
>
> I can't see where the build log is this time to attach.

That's strange that there isn't a log file to report, it looks like
util-linux didn't build but I'm not sure. What you could try is to run
`guix pull -v3' to enable more verbosity, and it should show build
output for packages as it's building them.

> I don't fully understand what guix pull does. If I was to run it again, would everything begin from the start, or is there some chance re-running it would pick up where it left off?

Yeah, luckily guix pull should pickup where it left off and not rebuild
packages that are already built and present in /gnu/store. So normally,
you should only have to go through the couple of days of building once
(Well actually, in normal times we should have binary substitutes that
guix pull can download instead of building them, but the CI is having
issues with aarch64 at the moment :-/.).

That being said, new commits could be pushed and cause new rebuilds
between guix pull invokation, what you can do is pull a specific commit
first:

  guix pull -v3 --commit=2641621  # Commit picked from the log file.

Hope that helps!

Thanks,
Pierre