Subject: bug#53644: 29.0.50; xref-search-program breaks if programm not installed on a remote host

From: Philip Kaludercic <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2022 13:57:08 +0000

Dmitry Gutov <[email-masked]> writes:

> On 09.02.2022 11:17, Philip Kaludercic wrote:
>> In that case, I'd propose this patch:
>
> Thanks!
>
> Could you extract the detection logic to outside of the main function?
> I think the result would be easier to read. The diff, too.

Ok.

> And use a simpler test: (only when the host is remote) write some text
> to a file in the temp dir, then search through it. Only doing it once,
> of course, when the connection-local value is initialized.

I am afraid I don't understand what you mean here, specifically "some
text".

> I'd prefer an even simpler test than that, but I guess the current
> structure of xref-search-program-alist doesn't give us specific values
> to call 'executable-find' on. And that's probably fine.
>

-- 
	Philip Kaludercic