Subject: bug#5364: 23.1.91; execute-extended-command should do like FFAP

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 13 Jan 2010 06:46:04 +0800

>>>>> "JL" == Juri Linkov <[email-masked]> writes:
>> OK, how would you execute this command that you see sitting in front of you?
>> (list-load-path-shadows)
>> for some reason execute-extended-command won't prompt me for it even now
>> these days. I recall the idea was rejected.

JL> The idea of adding a command to pull a string from the original buffer
JL> to the minibuffer was not rejected.  The only problem is that we have
JL> to find a good keybinding.  One proposal was to use `M-.', so when the
JL> cursor is on the string `list-load-path-shadows' you can type

JL>   M-x M-. RET

JL> -- 
JL> Juri Linkov
JL> http://www.jurta.org/emacs/

Put the cursor on emacs-version and hit C-h v. One sees:
Describe variable (default emacs-version):
Now put the cursor upon (list-load-path-shadows) and hit C-h f. One sees:
Describe function (default list-load-path-shadows):
Now put the cursor upon (list-load-path-shadows) and hit M-x. One sees just:
M-x

One should see
Execute function (default list-load-path-shadows):

Currently one can hit TAB to get all the completions, so why not prompt
with the most likely?

JL> One proposal was to use...

That's nice but first implement my idea please.