Subject: Re: bug#53617: 28.0.90; duplicate checks in erc--switch-to-buffer

From: Michael Olson <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 30 Jan 2022 22:22:05 -0500

On Sun, Jan 30, 2022 at 11:00 AM Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]> wrote:

> "J.P." <[email-masked]> writes:
>
> > Apologies for the unintelligible mumblage. Somehow (believe it or not),
> > I was trying to ask whether there's a system in place for keeping track
> > of the number of non-trivial changes a non-paperwork holder has made so
> > far. By "system" I guess I mean a person in charge of recording such
> > information or perhaps a table somewhere to consult. But if it's less
> > formal than all that, I suppose I'll just rely on the git history and
> > whatever an author self-reports. Thanks.
>
> No, we don't have such a system, unfortunately.  It's somewhat
> subjective what counts -- we try to count "lines of code", so whitespace
> changes don't count, of course, and other trivial transforms don't count
> either.

What I'd sometimes do 10+ years ago is keep an AUTHORS file with a list of
who contributed, which files, and (in the case of unassigned contributors)
how many lines so I knew if they were getting close to the limit. I'm not
sure if that would map well to the Emacs repo, maybe a side file like
ERC-AUTHORS, or just kept outside of the repo.