Subject: bug#53617: 28.0.90; duplicate checks in erc--switch-to-buffer

From: "J.P." <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 30 Jan 2022 07:43:37 -0800

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

>> I'm not sure if Emacs has a policy regarding the signing of everyday
>> contributions
>
> It does.  From CONTRIBUTE:
>
>   - Commit messages should not contain the "Signed-off-by:" lines that
>     are used in some other projects.

Thanks. I could certainly use a good reread of CONTRIBUTE. I guess in
this case, I was more confused about what role a PGP-signed patch (like
the OP's) could ever play in workflows that incorporate PGP commit
signing and whether Emacs had a stance on that sort of signing in
general. The first part (I now realize) makes little sense because it's
only committers who sign commits. And so a PGP-signed patch (like a
PGP-signed email) can only get as far as the bug tracker. As for the
second part, PGP-signed commits appear to be relatively rare in Emacs.
Among the most recent 10K or so commits reachable from HEAD, it seems
only around 1% have been signed (list attached).

>> Also, question: is there formal recordkeeping going on re exempt
>> lines accumulated per individual? And if not, is the recommended way
>> to get a tally just `git log --author=`?
>
> I don't think I understand what you are asking here, please elaborate.

Apologies for the unintelligible mumblage. Somehow (believe it or not),
I was trying to ask whether there's a system in place for keeping track
of the number of non-trivial changes a non-paperwork holder has made so
far. By "system" I guess I mean a person in charge of recording such
information or perhaps a table somewhere to consult. But if it's less
formal than all that, I suppose I'll just rely on the git history and
whatever an author self-reports. Thanks.