Subject: Re: bug#53613: [PATCH] guix: Restore profile hook for TeX Live font maps.

From: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 01 Feb 2022 10:22:11 +0100

Howdy!

Ricardo Wurmus <[email-masked]> skribis:

[...]

> Unfortunately, this change threw out the font-map-sized baby with the
> texmf.cnf-infested bath water.  The effect of that was barely noticeable
> because font maps are weird and aren’t always used.  Besides, we had a
> couple of other font-related problems (e.g. invalid assumptions about
> directory links in kpathsea), which masked this newly introduced
> problem.
>
> This patch pulls the baby out of the drain: we’re again generating font
> maps (such as pdftex.map) based on the contents of the profile.

Oh, I see, makes perfect sense.

Should some of this go in the commit log?

[...]

> Does this really solve problems?  I don’t know.  I think it’s the right
> thing to do (and thus makes our modular TeX Live less wrong), but it
> didn’t solve mysteries like that koma-script bug that seems to be
> related to a missing font map file.  The koma-script bug remains because
> the font map file is ignored.

I didn’t see how the koma-script bug could relate to fonts but your
explanation at <https://issues.guix.gnu.org/33094> looks plausible to my
(untrained) eye.

Thanks for explaining and fixing this!

Ludo’.