Subject: bug#53604: 29.0.50; read-buffer-to-switch unconditonally overrides minibuffer-completion-table

From: Visuwesh <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2022 19:29:33 +0530

`read-buffer-to-switch', used by `switch-to-buffer', unconditionally
sets `minibuffer-completion-table' to `rbts-completion-table'.  It
should only do that when `read-buffer-function' is set to nil since
`read-buffer-function' cannot do its job properly.

As a minimal reproduction, consider the following [a]

    1. emacs -Q
    2. Evaluate the following form,
        (let ((read-buffer-function
               (lambda (&rest _)
                 (completing-read "prompt: " (list "1" "2")))))
          (call-interactively #'switch-to-buffer))
    3. Type TAB.
    4. *Completions* buffer does not show "1" "2".  If you replace
       (call-interactively ...) with (read-buffer ""), it does.

a. To justify my request, I will write my problem here.  I wrote a
custom read-buffer-function to include "virtual" buffer candidates
(popularised by ivy, helm, etc.) like recentf files, bookmarks, etc.,
but the current behaviour makes my job much harder (or uglier i.e.,
advice) as I have to write custom switch-to-buffer-* commands and remap
the standard switch-to-buffer-*.

BTW, should the docstring of `switch-to-buffer' mention
`read-buffer-to-switch'?  I see that Lars decided against it in bug#23131
(https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-gnu-emacs/2021-07/msg00703.html).

In GNU Emacs 29.0.50 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, X toolkit, cairo version 1.16.0, Xaw scroll bars)
Repository revision: 4b7e73432cd07612e5225189e18696f755c8f954
Repository branch: master
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12013000
System Description: NixOS 21.11 (Porcupine)

Configured using:
 'configure
 --prefix=/nix/store/rsgfliii3k06j8i77zn295yp87qbq0yr-emacs-git-20211221.0
 --disable-build-details --with-modules --with-x-toolkit=lucid
 --with-xft --with-cairo --with-native-compilation'

Configured features:
CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS GSETTINGS HARFBUZZ JPEG JSON
LIBOTF LIBSELINUX LIBSYSTEMD LIBXML2 M17N_FLT MODULES NATIVE_COMP NOTIFY
INOTIFY PDUMPER PNG RSVG SECCOMP SOUND SQLITE3 THREADS TIFF
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS X11 XDBE XIM XPM LUCID ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $EMACSLOADPATH: 
  value of $EMACSNATIVELOADPATH: /nix/store/x6fjznfj7wks7nvs6xgsk1q4fcd5rjrw-emacs-packages-deps/share/emacs/native-lisp::
  value of $LANG: en_GB.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Help

Minor modes in effect:
  semantic-minor-modes-format: ((:eval (if (or semantic-highlight-edits-mode semantic-show-unmatched-syntax-mode)  S)))
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  recentf-mode: t
  eros-mode: t
  pdf-occur-global-minor-mode: t
  minibuffer-depth-indicate-mode: t
  repeat-mode: t
  display-time-mode: t
  display-battery-mode: t
  straight-use-package-mode: t
  straight-package-neutering-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tab-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  buffer-read-only: t
  indent-tabs-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
/home/viz/.nix-profile/share/emacs/site-lisp/site-start hides /nix/store/x6fjznfj7wks7nvs6xgsk1q4fcd5rjrw-emacs-packages-deps/share/emacs/site-lisp/site-start
/home/viz/lib/emacs/straight/build/map/map hides /nix/store/rsgfliii3k06j8i77zn295yp87qbq0yr-emacs-git-20211221.0/share/emacs/29.0.50/lisp/emacs-lisp/map
/home/viz/lib/emacs/straight/build/let-alist/let-alist hides /nix/store/rsgfliii3k06j8i77zn295yp87qbq0yr-emacs-git-20211221.0/share/emacs/29.0.50/lisp/emacs-lisp/let-alist
/nix/store/rsgfliii3k06j8i77zn295yp87qbq0yr-emacs-git-20211221.0/share/emacs/29.0.50/lisp/emacs-lisp/eieio-compat hides /nix/store/rsgfliii3k06j8i77zn295yp87qbq0yr-emacs-git-20211221.0/share/emacs/29.0.50/lisp/obsolete/eieio-compat

Features:
(shadow emacsbug sendmail vc-annotate add-log log-view pcvs-util
find-dired grep vc-mtn vc-hg vc-bzr vc-src vc-sccs vc-svn vc-cvs vc-rcs
vc etags fileloop info-look ucs-normalize debug edebug backtrace
expand-region text-mode-expansions cc-mode-expansions
the-org-mode-expansions er-basic-expansions expand-region-core
expand-region-custom tramp tramp-loaddefs trampver tramp-integration
files-x tramp-compat ls-lisp comp comp-cstr minibuf-eldef
ement-room-list ement ement-notify notifications ement-room ewoc
ement-api ement-structs ement-macros plz dns ts s dash dictionary
dictionary-connection shell-command+ help-at-pt olivetti xref apropos
cal-iso tabify calc-bin calc-vec org-capture doct calc-comb calc-poly
calc-stuff calc-prog calc-frac calcalg2 calc-trail lacarte icomplete
calc-cplx calc-incom calc-undo calc-yank calc-store calc-math calccomp
calc-arith calc-misc calc-alg calc-ext calc-aent calc-menu calc
calc-loaddefs rect calc-macs cus-start view writegood-mode cal-islam
holidays hol-loaddefs mule-util cal-move nnfolder cl-print timezone
ob-ditaa ob-plantuml org-crypt org-habit org-clock org-colview org-plot
misc flyspell ispell org-pdftools org-noter org-indent shortdoc help-fns
radix-tree flow-fill nndoc crm bug-reference shr-color smerge-mode diff
mm-archive gnus-fun gnus-cite mail-extr gnus-bcklg qp gnus-async sort
gnus-ml pulse color latexenc ox-odt rng-loc rng-uri rng-parse rng-match
rng-dt rng-util rng-pttrn nxml-parse nxml-ns nxml-enc xmltok nxml-util
ox-latex ox-icalendar org-agenda org-refile ox-html table ox-ascii
ox-publish ox org-element avl-tree generator goto-addr pdf-sync
pdf-annot facemenu pdf-outline pdf-links ob-C cc-mode cc-fonts cc-guess
cc-menus cc-cmds cc-styles cc-align cc-engine cc-vars cc-defs ob-shell
ob-racket async ob-async tempo ol-eww ol-rmail ol-mhe ol-irc ol-info
ol-gnus nnselect gnus-search eieio-opt speedbar ezimage dframe
ol-docview doc-view ol-bibtex ol-bbdb ol-w3m ol-doi org-link-doi org ob
ob-tangle ob-ref ob-lob ob-table ob-exp org-macro org-footnote org-src
ob-comint org-pcomplete org-list org-faces org-entities org-version
ob-emacs-lisp ob-core ob-eval org-table oc-basic bibtex ol org-keys oc
org-compat org-macs org-loaddefs pdf-history misearch multi-isearch
dired-aux face-remap shell pcomplete nndraft nnmh nnmaildir nnagent nnml
nnnil gnus-agent gnus-srvr gnus-score score-mode nnvirtual gnus-msg
gnus-art mm-uu mml2015 mm-view mml-smime smime dig nntp gnus-cache
gnus-sum gnus-group gnus-undo gnus-start gnus-dbus gnus-cloud nnimap
nnmail mail-source utf7 netrc nnoo parse-time iso8601 gnus-spec gnus-int
gnus-range message yank-media rfc822 mml mml-sec epa epg rfc6068
epg-config mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader
gnus-win executable time-stamp reveal noutline outline recentf
tree-widget vc-git diff-mode vc-dispatcher gnutls network-stream
url-http url-gw nsm rmc url-cache url-auth eww xdg url-queue shr
pixel-fill kinsoku svg dom puny mm-url gnus nnheader gnus-util
mail-utils server paredit edmacro kmacro eros time-date checkdoc
lisp-mnt mail-parse rfc2231 rfc2047 rfc2045 mm-util ietf-drums
mail-prsvr flymake-proc flymake project warnings thingatpt hl-todo
writegood-mode-autoloads wordel-autoloads sokoban-autoloads
ement-autoloads ts-autoloads s-autoloads map-autoloads plz-autoloads
nov-autoloads esxml-autoloads kv-autoloads transmission-autoloads
lua-mode-autoloads nix-mode-autoloads magit-section-autoloads
dash-autoloads racket-mode-autoloads eros-autoloads
flymake-shellcheck-autoloads avy avy-autoloads siege-mode-autoloads
paredit-autoloads puni-autoloads expand-region-autoloads
filladapt-autoloads compose quail scroll-other-window
org-pdftools-autoloads org-noter-autoloads finder-inf
math-delimiters-autoloads doct-autoloads ob-async-autoloads
async-autoloads emacs-ob-racket-autoloads valign-autoloads
org-starless-autoloads cdlatex-autoloads auctex-autoloads tex-site
easy-mmode pdf-occur ibuf-ext ibuffer ibuffer-loaddefs tablist advice
tablist-filter semantic/wisent/comp semantic/wisent
semantic/wisent/wisent semantic/util-modes semantic/util semantic
semantic/tag semantic/lex semantic/fw mode-local find-func cedet
pdf-isearch let-alist pdf-misc imenu pdf-tools package browse-url url
url-proxy url-privacy url-expand url-methods url-history url-cookie
url-domsuf url-util mailcap url-handlers url-parse auth-source eieio
eieio-core eieio-loaddefs json map url-vars compile comint ansi-color
ring cus-edit wid-edit pdf-view password-cache bookmark
text-property-search pp jka-compr pdf-cache pdf-info tq pdf-util
pdf-macs image-mode dired-x dired dired-loaddefs exif
pdf-tools-autoloads let-alist-autoloads tablist-autoloads derived
mb-depth cus-load repeat visual-fill-autoloads olivetti-autoloads
hl-todo-autoloads time format-spec battery dbus filenotify xml
disp-table lacarte-autoloads shell-command-plus-autoloads rx icalendar
diary-lib diary-loaddefs cal-menu calendar cal-loaddefs
chemtable-autoloads molar-mass-autoloads pcase straight-autoloads info
cl-seq cl-extra help-mode straight cl-macs cl-loaddefs cl-lib
vz-nh-theme seq gv subr-x byte-opt bytecomp byte-compile cconv
iso-transl tooltip eldoc paren electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks
lisp-float-type elisp-mode mwheel term/x-win x-win term/common-win x-dnd
tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace
newcomment text-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar
rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock
font-lock syntax font-core term/tty-colors frame minibuffer cl-generic
cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao
korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech
european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese composite emoji-zwj charscript
charprop case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev obarray
cl-preloaded nadvice button loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp files
window text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages
mule custom widget keymap hashtable-print-readable backquote threads
dbusbind inotify dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting
cairo x-toolkit x multi-tty make-network-process native-compile emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 2050564 584582)
 (symbols 48 54221 486)
 (strings 32 273447 55866)
 (string-bytes 1 203473076)
 (vectors 16 143788)
 (vector-slots 8 2972964 406447)
 (floats 8 139821 6723)
 (intervals 56 158849 33066)
 (buffers 992 101))