Subject: 29.0.50; comp-trampoline-compile: Cannot find suitable directory for output in `native-comp-eln-load-path'

From: Manuel Uberti <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2022 07:42:16 +0100

I have just built Emacs master, on commit 84d4a34919 ("Fix duplicate
scroll events without XI2") to be more precise.

When I start Emacs (using 'emacs' and not 'emacs -Q'), I get the error reported 
in the subject: "comp-trampoline-compile: Cannot find suitable directory for 
output in `native-comp-eln-load-path'".

'C-h v native-comp-eln-load-path' shows me: 
("/usr/local/libexec/emacs/29.0.50/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/../../../../bin/../lib/emacs/29.0.50/native-lisp/")

In GNU Emacs 29.0.50 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.24.18, cairo 
version 1.16.0)
  of 2022-01-28 built on hathaway
Repository revision: 84d4a349190fc51bf333c6fb60ab36be39a6a678
Repository branch: master
System Description: Ubuntu 20.04 LTS

Configured using:
  'configure --with-harfbuzz --with-native-compilation --with-pgtk
  --with-xinput2'

Configured features:
ACL CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS GPM GSETTINGS HARFBUZZ JPEG
JSON LCMS2 LIBOTF LIBSELINUX LIBSYSTEMD LIBXML2 MODULES NATIVE_COMP
NOTIFY INOTIFY PDUMPER PGTK PNG RSVG SECCOMP SOUND THREADS TIFF
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS XIM GTK3 ZLIB

Important settings:
   value of $LC_MONETARY: it_IT.UTF-8
   value of $LC_NUMERIC: it_IT.UTF-8
   value of $LC_TIME: it_IT.UTF-8
   value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
   value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=ibus
   locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Fundamental

Minor modes in effect:
   pixel-scroll-precision-mode: t
   savehist-mode: t
   global-so-long-mode: t
   global-subword-mode: t
   subword-mode: t
   windmove-mode: t
   winner-mode: t
   envrc-global-mode: t
   envrc-mode: t
   fido-vertical-mode: t
   icomplete-vertical-mode: t
   icomplete-mode: t
   fido-mode: t
   delete-selection-mode: t
   tooltip-mode: t
   global-eldoc-mode: t
   show-paren-mode: t
   electric-indent-mode: t
   mouse-wheel-mode: t
   tool-bar-mode: t
   menu-bar-mode: t
   file-name-shadow-mode: t
   global-font-lock-mode: t
   font-lock-mode: t
   window-divider-mode: t
   auto-composition-mode: t
   auto-encryption-mode: t
   auto-compression-mode: t
   column-number-mode: t
   line-number-mode: t
   transient-mark-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message yank-media rmc puny dired-x
dired dired-loaddefs rfc822 mml mml-sec epa derived epg rfc6068
epg-config gnus-util text-property-search time-date mm-decode mm-bodies
mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail
rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils pp cl-print
cursor-sensor thingatpt help-fns radix-tree server comp comp-cstr
warnings cl-extra help-mode pixel-scroll savehist so-long cap-words
superword subword windmove winner ring envrc inheritenv ansi-color
icomplete ibuf-macs rx delsel info tex-site package browse-url url
url-proxy url-privacy url-expand url-methods url-history url-cookie
url-domsuf url-util mailcap url-handlers url-parse auth-source cl-seq
eieio eieio-core cl-macs eieio-loaddefs password-cache json map url-vars
seq gv subr-x byte-opt bytecomp byte-compile cconv cl-loaddefs cl-lib
iso-transl tooltip eldoc paren electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks
lisp-float-type elisp-mode mwheel term/pgtk-win pgtk-win term/common-win
tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace
newcomment text-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar
rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock
font-lock syntax font-core term/tty-colors frame minibuffer cl-generic
cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao
korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech
european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese composite emoji-zwj charscript
charprop case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev obarray
cl-preloaded nadvice button loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp files
window text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages
mule custom widget keymap hashtable-print-readable backquote threads
dbusbind inotify dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting
cairo move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit pgtk lcms2 multi-tty
make-network-process native-compile emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 111260 155261)
  (symbols 48 10123 54)
  (strings 32 39545 69792)
  (string-bytes 1 1259782)
  (vectors 16 20971)
  (vector-slots 8 259042 719961)
  (floats 8 74 962)
  (intervals 56 444 143)
  (buffers 992 11))

-- 
Manuel Uberti
www.manueluberti.eu