Subject: 29.0.50; eshell built-ins fail parsing arguments

From: Jose A Ortega Ruiz <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2022 05:47:05 +0000

in latest master branch:

- emacs -Q
- M-x eshell
- Try ls or rm; e.g:

  ~ $ ls
  Wrong number of arguments: (4 . 4), 3
  ~ $ rm foo
  Wrong number of arguments: (4 . 4), 3
  ~ $ 

cheers,
jao

In GNU Emacs 29.0.50 (build 14, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, cairo version 1.16.0)
 of 2022-01-27 built on rivendell
Repository revision: 2b150f943bc875cf9ce5ac614472e27db697fff9
Repository branch: master
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12014000
System Description: Debian GNU/Linux bookworm/sid

Configured using:
 'configure --prefix=/usr/local/stow/emacs --with-x-toolkit=no
 --with-imagemagick'

Configured features:
ACL CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS GPM GSETTINGS HARFBUZZ
IMAGEMAGICK JPEG JSON LCMS2 LIBOTF LIBSELINUX LIBSYSTEMD LIBXML2
M17N_FLT MODULES NOTIFY INOTIFY OLDXMENU PDUMPER PNG RSVG SECCOMP SOUND
THREADS TIFF X11 XDBE XIM XPM ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_GB.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Eshell

Minor modes in effect:
  eshell-prompt-mode: t
  eshell-hist-mode: t
  eshell-pred-mode: t
  eshell-cmpl-mode: t
  telega-root-auto-fill-mode: t
  telega-active-locations-mode: t
  telega-patrons-mode: t
  telega-mode-line-mode: t
  global-diff-hl-mode: t
  eshell-vterm-mode: t
  eshell-syntax-highlighting-global-mode: t
  eshell-syntax-highlighting-mode: t
  pdf-occur-global-minor-mode: t
  eshell-proc-mode: t
  eshell-arg-mode: t
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  winner-mode: t
  global-auto-revert-mode: t
  corfu-global-mode: t
  corfu-mode: t
  marginalia-mode: t
  vertico-mode: t
  persistent-scratch-autosave-mode: t
  global-so-long-mode: t
  display-battery-mode: t
  jao-minibuffer-mode: t
  minibuffer-electric-default-mode: t
  minibuffer-depth-indicate-mode: t
  repeat-mode: t
  savehist-mode: t
  recentf-mode: t
  save-place-mode: t
  override-global-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  column-number-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
/home/jao/lib/elisp/org-static-blog/org-static-blog hides /home/jao/.emacs.d/elpa.29/org-static-blog-20220110.739/org-static-blog
/home/jao/etc/emacs/site/custom hides /usr/local/stow/emacs/share/emacs/29.0.50/lisp/custom
/home/jao/.emacs.d/elpa.29/transient-20220126.1647/transient hides /usr/local/stow/emacs/share/emacs/29.0.50/lisp/transient

Features:
(shadow sort mailalias bbdb-message mail-extr misearch multi-isearch
cl-print debug backtrace cus-start em-unix em-script em-prompt em-ls
em-hist em-pred em-glob em-extpipe em-cmpl em-basic em-banner executable
copyright paredit display-fill-column-indicator smartscan
vertico-directory tramp-cmds org-duration org-agenda org-appear cdlatex
texmathp image-file image-converter cal-iso mule-util cal-move bigml
bml-logs bml bml-misc bml-whizzml bml-clojure bml-clj-tests bml-python
bml-skels bml-utils whizzml-skeletons skeleton whizzml-mode lice sieve
sieve-mode sieve-manage sasl sasl-anonymous sasl-login sasl-plain
jao-mpc jao-random-album jao-lyrics jao-spt jao-mpris consult-spotify
espotify telega-obsolete telega telega-tdlib-events telega-webpage
visual-fill-column telega-root telega-info telega-chat telega-modes
telega-company telega-user telega-notifications telega-voip telega-msg
telega-tme telega-sticker telega-i18n telega-vvnote bindat telega-ffplay
telega-media telega-sort telega-filter telega-ins telega-folders
telega-inline telega-tdlib telega-util rainbow-identifiers dired-aux
telega-server telega-core cursor-sensor telega-customize emacsbug
sendmail jao-mullvad bluetooth json-mode json-snatcher js cc-mode
cc-fonts cc-guess cc-menus cc-cmds cc-styles cc-align cc-engine cc-vars
cc-defs virtualenvwrapper gud ediprolog haskell-doc inf-haskell
haskell-decl-scan haskell haskell-completions haskell-load
haskell-commands highlight-uses-mode haskell-modules haskell-sandbox
haskell-navigate-imports haskell-repl haskell-svg haskell-collapse
hideshow haskell-debug haskell-interactive-mode
haskell-presentation-mode haskell-compile haskell-hoogle haskell-process
haskell-session haskell-mode haskell-cabal haskell-utils
haskell-font-lock haskell-indentation haskell-string
haskell-sort-imports haskell-lexeme haskell-align-imports
haskell-complete-module haskell-ghc-support flymake-proc flymake
warnings dabbrev haskell-customize pie geiser-guile info-look
geiser-repl geiser-compile geiser-debug geiser-image geiser-company
geiser-doc geiser-menu geiser-edit etags fileloop xref project
geiser-completion geiser-autodoc geiser-eval geiser-connection
geiser-syntax scheme geiser-impl help-fns radix-tree geiser-log
geiser-popup view geiser-custom geiser-base geiser idris-mode
idris-commands idris-hole-list idris-ipkg-mode idris-tree-info
idris-warnings-tree idris-info idris-repl idris-highlight-input
idris-prover inferior-idris idris-warnings idris-log idris-events
idris-simple-indent idris-syntax idris-common-utils idris-settings
idris-keys idris-core idris-compat prop-menu package-lint finder
lisp-mnt edit-list git-modes gitignore-mode gitconfig-mode conf-mode
gitattributes-mode git-link git-timemachine diff-hl log-view pcvs-util
vc-dir ewoc vc jao-eshell-here eshell-autojump em-dirs esh-var eshell-up
git-ps1-mode eshell-vterm em-term eshell-syntax-highlighting em-alias
vterm face-remap term disp-table ehelp vterm-module term/xterm xterm
saveplace-pdf-view pdf-occur ibuf-ext ibuffer ibuffer-loaddefs tablist
tablist-filter semantic/wisent/comp semantic/wisent
semantic/wisent/wisent semantic/util-modes semantic/util semantic
semantic/tag semantic/lex semantic/fw mode-local cedet pdf-isearch
pdf-misc consult-notmuch org-capture org-refile jao-notmuch notmuch
notmuch-tree notmuch-jump notmuch-hello notmuch-show notmuch-print
notmuch-crypto notmuch-mua notmuch-message notmuch-draft
notmuch-maildir-fcc notmuch-address notmuch-company notmuch-parser
notmuch-wash coolj notmuch-query goto-addr icalendar notmuch-tag
notmuch-lib notmuch-version notmuch-compat hl-line mm-view mml-smime
smime dig bbdb-anniv bbdb-com crm bbdb bbdb-site timezone randomsig
message yank-media rfc822 mml mml-sec mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode
mail-parse rfc2231 rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mailabbrev gmm-utils
mailheader socks gnutls nsm rmc elpher ol-eww jao-eww-session eww xdg
url-queue shr pixel-fill kinsoku svg dom puny mm-url gnus nnheader
gnus-util mail-utils range mm-util mail-prsvr markdown-toc dash s
markdown-mode htmlize jao-org-links jao-maildir jao-doc-view let-alist
doc-view pdf-tools pdf-view pdf-cache pdf-info tq pdf-util pdf-macs
image-mode exif ol-info ol-bbdb ol-eshell esh-mode eshell esh-cmd
esh-ext esh-opt esh-proc esh-io esh-arg esh-module esh-groups esh-util
jao-org-notes ob-shell ob-scheme ob-python python tramp-sh tramp
tramp-loaddefs trampver tramp-integration files-x tramp-compat shell
parse-time ls-lisp ob-org ob-ocaml ob-makefile ob-haskell ob-gnuplot
ob-clojure ob-calc calc-store calc-trail calc-ext calc calc-loaddefs
rect calc-macs ob-prolog prolog smie align poly-org polymode poly-lock
polymode-base polymode-weave polymode-export polymode-compat
polymode-methods polymode-core polymode-classes eieio-custom eieio-base
color org-tempo tempo ox-texinfo ox-latex ox-html table ox-ascii
ox-publish ox org-element avl-tree generator org-fragtog jao-afio winner
autorevert filenotify autoinsert embark-consult embark ffap thingatpt
consult-recoll jao-compilation consult-vertico consult pcase bookmark
corfu marginalia mct vertico orderless imenu find-dired dired-x dired
dired-loaddefs wgrep grep compile text-property-search jka-compr
persistent-scratch so-long cal-china lunar solar cal-dst cal-bahai
cal-islam cal-hebrew holidays hol-loaddefs vc-git diff-mode
vc-dispatcher appt diary-lib diary-loaddefs jao-tracking tracking
shorten jao-notify alert log4e notifications gntp battery time
jao-minibuffer minibuf-eldef mb-depth jao-recoll diminish
jao-light-theme jao-themes pinentry epa-file epa derived epg rfc6068
epg-config transient cus-edit pp cus-load repeat edmacro kmacro
jao-sleep dbus xml server savehist recentf tree-widget wid-edit
saveplace gnu-elpa-keyring-update use-package use-package-ensure
use-package-delight use-package-diminish use-package-bind-key bind-key
use-package-core cl-extra help-mode org ob ob-tangle ob-ref ob-lob
ob-table ob-exp org-macro org-footnote org-src ob-comint org-pcomplete
pcomplete comint ansi-color ring org-list org-faces org-entities
noutline outline easy-mmode org-version ob-emacs-lisp ob-core ob-eval
org-table oc-basic bibtex iso8601 time-date ol org-keys oc org-compat
advice org-macs org-loaddefs format-spec find-func cal-menu calendar
cal-loaddefs finder-inf tex-site rx info package browse-url url
url-proxy url-privacy url-expand url-methods url-history url-cookie
url-domsuf url-util mailcap url-handlers url-parse auth-source cl-seq
eieio eieio-core cl-macs eieio-loaddefs password-cache json map url-vars
seq gv subr-x byte-opt bytecomp byte-compile cconv cl-loaddefs cl-lib
iso-transl tooltip eldoc paren electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks
lisp-float-type elisp-mode mwheel term/x-win x-win term/common-win x-dnd
tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace
newcomment text-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar
rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock
font-lock syntax font-core term/tty-colors frame minibuffer cl-generic
cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao
korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech
european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese composite emoji-zwj charscript
charprop case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev obarray
cl-preloaded nadvice button loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp files
window text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages
mule custom widget keymap hashtable-print-readable backquote threads
dbusbind inotify lcms2 dynamic-setting system-font-setting
font-render-setting cairo x multi-tty make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 969685 177334)
 (symbols 48 75630 151)
 (strings 32 282073 25385)
 (string-bytes 1 8892819)
 (vectors 16 96148)
 (vector-slots 8 1638579 131374)
 (floats 8 1186 797)
 (intervals 56 30265 10020)
 (buffers 992 29))

-- 
The miracle of the appropriateness of the language of mathematics for
the formulation of the laws of physics is a wonderful gift which we
neither understand nor deserve. - Eugene Wigner