Subject: 28.0.90; Documentation of `load' and .eln files with native-compilation

From: Phil Sainty <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2022 12:25:43 +1300

I've noticed that the docstrings for `load' and `load-suffixes' make no
mention of native-compilation, and it feels to me like they should do.

`load' says:
> First try FILE with `.elc' appended, then try with `.el', then try
> with a system-dependent suffix of dynamic modules (see `load-suffixes')

`load-suffixes' says:
> Its value is (".so" ".elc" ".el")
> 
> List of suffixes for Emacs Lisp files and dynamic modules.
> This list includes suffixes for both compiled and source Emacs Lisp 
> files.

IIUC the switch to .eln happens only if the .elc file was selected, in
which case the above is all true in a strict sense; but I feel that the
.eln case warrants a mention in the text as something which further
affects the outcome if Emacs was built --with-native-compilation.

I think `load-no-native' should be referenced as part of that, too.
(Attempting to find that variable name was the reason for this bug
report, and apropos-documentation suggests that nothing mentions it.)

-Phil

In GNU Emacs 28.0.90 (build 3, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, X toolkit, cairo 
version 1.15.10, Xaw scroll bars)
  of 2021-12-03 built on phil-lp
Repository revision: 292ae07e7150a9515b587bd98f9e93ab42c3fb29
Repository branch: master
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 
11.0.12008000
System Description: Ubuntu 18.04.6 LTS

Configured using:
  'configure --prefix=/home/phil/emacs/28.0/usr/local
  --with-x-toolkit=lucid --without-sound --with-native-compilation'

Configured features:
CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS GSETTINGS HARFBUZZ JPEG JSON
LCMS2 LIBXML2 MODULES NATIVE_COMP NOTIFY INOTIFY PDUMPER PNG RSVG
SECCOMP THREADS TIFF TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS X11 XDBE XIM XPM LUCID ZLIB