Subject: Re: [bug#53556] [PATCH 1/2] gnu: Remove luminance-hdr.

From: Maxim Cournoyer <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2022 23:32:57 -0500

Hello Leo,

Leo Famulari <[email-masked]> writes:

> This package doesn't build anymore:
>
> https://ci.guix.gnu.org/search?query=spec%3Amaster+system%3Ax86_64-linux+luminance-hdr
>
> * gnu/packages/image-viewers.scm (luminance-hdr): Remove variable.
> ---
>  gnu/packages/image-viewers.scm | 63 ----------------------------------
>  1 file changed, 63 deletions(-)

As I mentioned on #guix, I don't think removing broken but still
actively developed packages is the way to go.  Have you opened an issue
with upstream about the build failure?  I've searched but haven't seen
it.  Development now happens here:
https://github.com/LuminanceHDR/LuminanceHDR/

Other distributions are offering the package; we should check how they
do it.

At any rate, I don't think we should remove broken packages just because
they happen to be broken now.  It seems your concern was to advertise
broken packages to our users?  If so the way to do that would be to plug
the CI results in the generated package list on our site (they could be
shown in red or something).

Thanks,

Maxim