Subject: Re: bug#53550: 29.0.50; bitmap fonts

From: "Roland Winkler" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2022 13:53:18 -0600

On Wed, Jan 26 2022, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
>> From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
>> So Emacs 29 is choosing a "ko" variant for the font?  I guess that's a
>> Russian font?  It sounds like a variation on the other font selection
>> problems we've been seeing on the trunk, which we're still debugging, I
>> think.
>
> Perhaps some side effect of changing the default font from medium to
> regular weight?

All this is not my area of expertise.  For the longest time I have used

  -misc-fixed-medium-r-normal-*-20-*-*-75-*-*-*-*

and it gave me the font I wanted not only with emacs, but also with a
good number of other applications.  (I cannot go back anymore to the old
system that motivated me to pick this.)  Now using debian 10, I have
changed this to

  -misc-fixed-*-*-*-*-20-*-*-*-*-*-*-*

and it seems to work not only with older versions of emacs and other
applications (I need to check this more carefully!), but also Emacs 29
is then picking the font I want.