Subject: Re: bug#53549: [PATCH] gnu: polkit: Fix CVE-2021-4034.

From: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2022 17:56:37 +0100

Hi,

Liliana Marie Prikler <[email-masked]> skribis:

> Am Mittwoch, dem 26.01.2022 um 12:56 +0100 schrieb Ludovic Courtès:
>> * gnu/packages/patches/polkit-CVE-2021-4034.patch: New file.
>> * gnu/local.mk (dist_patch_DATA): Add it.
>> * gnu/packages/polkit.scm (polkit-mozjs)[replacement]: New field.
>> * gnu/packages/polkit.scm (polkit-mozjs/fixed): New variable.
>> ---
>>  gnu/local.mk                                  |  1 +
>>  .../patches/polkit-CVE-2021-4034.patch        | 82
>> +++++++++++++++++++
>>  gnu/packages/polkit.scm                       | 13 ++-
>>  3 files changed, 95 insertions(+), 1 deletion(-)
>>  create mode 100644 gnu/packages/patches/polkit-CVE-2021-4034.patch
>> 
>> Hi!
>> 
>> We could avoid grafting and instead use 'polkit/fixed' in 'setuid-
>> programs', but it seems safer and less error-prone to graft.
>> 
>> Thoughts?
> Given that there is also a duktape variant, a graft is necessary, no? 
> On a related note, polit-duktape inherits polkit-mozjs in a way that
> does not require adding a separate graft for it, right?  Assuming both
> of the above hold, LGTM.

The duktape variant is defined with ‘package/inherit’ and thus it
automatically gets a replacement with the patch:

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
$ ./pre-inst-env  guix build polkit-duktape --no-grafts
/gnu/store/z92ymaf84ij8f37cm1wrkkmgrw2slrym-polkit-duktape-0.120
$ ./pre-inst-env  guix build polkit-duktape 
/gnu/store/3g55nhkcbc0a4l7b26gxsalxq0rq1cs7-polkit-duktape-0.121
$ guix gc -R $(./pre-inst-env  guix build polkit-duktape -d) |grep polkit-CVE
/gnu/store/lxms944bda56ll590dsrkkhc9n2h3xws-polkit-CVE-2021-4034.patch
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

Pushed as 3993d33d1c0129b1ca6f0fd122fe2bbe48e4f093.

Thanks for taking a look!

Ludo’.