Subject: bug#53541: backtrace during fresh Guix System install after during formatting

From: Leo Famulari <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2022 23:15:53 -0500

On Thu, Feb 03, 2022 at 09:34:11PM -0600, bdju wrote:
> It would be difficult to test now, I no longer have an empty SSD waiting
> to be installed on in the same PC.

Understood.

> I ended up getting through an install
> with the last stable release using the same settings.
> From memory, it was set up for EFI, btrfs root partition, encryption
> enabled, boot partition was fat32, I chose no environment (wanted to use
> sway), accepted networkmanager, tor, cups... I kept the default
> generated config.scm because it often crashed when trying to edit and I
> was sick of starting over. I think the crash was either right before the
> screen where you can edit the config or right after you tell it to apply
> the config.

Okay. The crash when you do edit the config has been fixed, based on our
testing:

https://issues.guix.gnu.org/53544

I know this report was about a different issue, but not as clearly
defined.

> I had a second HDD (not touched by the installer) in
> addition to the SSD being installed on, and /dev/sdc/ was the flash
> drive with the installer image on it.
> I am glad to hear it's (maybe) fixed. I'll download a new ISO, but I
> don't have a hypervisor configured to test this sort of thing. I could
> maybe try it with a different computer, but still it would be hard to
> find one I'm willing to wipe I think. Sorry I can't be more help.
> I have still only ever done 3 full Guix System installs, all years
> apart. Unfortunately I never considered the experience fun enough to do
> besides when absolutely necessary.

No worries! You already helped a lot by reporting the bug and giving us
all the details you can. I will do some tests in a VM, choosing
non-default filesystems and partitioning.